Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Mmmhmm (EBay)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have personally been attacked once on eBay. I was breeding a rare species of beetles at the time, and someone really wanted them alive. I however knew the person had a bad reputation as a breeder and dismissed his offer on another site. When I listed a dried specimen on eBay he must have seen and created a new account. When He won the auction (obviously) at $1024, he then deactivated his account. Luckily I listed the specimen again and it sold to a reputable collector the second time.

I have also seen people make separate accounts from their real one, and drive the price of bids up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanas View Post
    I have personally been attacked once on eBay. I was breeding a rare species of beetles at the time, and someone really wanted them alive. I however knew the person had a bad reputation as a breeder and dismissed his offer on another site. When I listed a dried specimen on eBay he must have seen and created a new account. When He won the auction (obviously) at $1024, he then deactivated his account. Luckily I listed the specimen again and it sold to a reputable collector the second time.

I have also seen people make separate accounts from their real one, and drive the price of bids up.
    You misunderstood my question. We're discussing people who run up auctions into the stratosphere to actually get what they're bidding on. I understand sellers running up the bids on their own stuff, or someone who really doesn't want what they're bidding on and reneges. What I want to know are the devious things done by people who bid high and pay for what they bid on.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work at a local nepenthes nursery and have noticed that we have a few customers who have dropped several thousand dollars on a single order. I do know who they are and their experience with Nepenthes but I obviously cannot release that info. However, there are definitely people out there spending thousands on Nepenthes plants left and right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also who's to say the people that can spend the big bux also haven't spent the big bux to create an appropriate grow area. So I guess you can't really judge either way. I know personally if I spend 500 bus on a plant I want it to live weather or not I can just buy another if it dies....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly hope you aren't insinuating this is something the merchant you singled out in the original post has done, because that particular seller is one of the most reputable, honest and genuine suppliers in the hobby. You wouldn't want to suggest he's doing anything as dishonest and underhanded as that, would you?? Because that sounds like what you're implying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip_Side_the_Pint View Post
    also who's to say the people that can spend the big bux also haven't spent the big bux to create an appropriate grow area. So I guess you can't really judge either way. I know personally if I spend 500 bus on a plant I want it to live weather or not I can just buy another if it dies....
    Case in point: my Nepenthes greenhouse cost over $14K to build and equip. I insisted that it be done right, and done to last 20 years. As the saying goes, build it and they (Nepenthes, Orchids, etc.) will come.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have personally been attacked once on eBay. I was breeding a rare species of beetles at the time, and someone really wanted them alive. I however knew the person had a bad reputation as a breeder and dismissed his offer on another site.
    So you get to be the Breeder Police, huh? Deciding who can and cannot have Beetles for breeding?! Now I understand where your attitude about who is or isn't fit to grow expensive Nepenthes comes from!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it puts your mind to rest I am referring to several known instances in the insect hobby that occurred many years ago. You should realize I know who most of the nepenthes sellers are on ebay, and I am not accusing anyone of anything (as I have not stated directly).

And yes, I will decide who my beetles go to if that means their survival...

Like I said earlier you should think before you speak. It makes you look bad when you ( in specific) try to single someone out for comments they never said. You're trying to put words in my mouth again

Copyandpasted what Whimgrinder said in case he removes his comment:
    I certainly hope you aren't insinuating this is something the merchant you singled out in the original post has done, because that particular seller is one of the most reputable, honest and genuine suppliers in the hobby. You wouldn't want to suggest he's doing anything as dishonest and underhanded as that, would you?? Because that sounds like what you're implying.
    Last edited by Satanas; 10-20-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast