Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical question regarding wild plants and trespassing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    " Sentience is the ability to feel, perceive, or experience subjectively. Eighteenth-century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think (reason) from the ability to feel (sentience)."
    Plants are 100% sentient, they don't however have conscious thought. They do feel pain and electrincal impulses equivalent to emotion and if you say that isn't emotion or feeling then your basically saying love isn't real either and we can argue about that till the cows come home. Fact is plants react, the feel and they response. All that nerves are in the human body are electrical impulses. I don't see the difference. How ever a human will put you in jail or shoot you for stepping on their property, best to ask permission before stepping on anyone's lawn. Never the less I could reason with the want to save any life no matter if it's conscious or not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think in this case, the poster is in the wrong. If these were species on the verge of being wiped out, it would be a different story. If It were a species verging on extinction, I would still ask, and if denied, id bring out the night vision goggles and field collecting supplies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only if It was drosera regia or something would I go to that extent. If it's not endangered and OP said they were common you should be asking permission, if they say no, oh well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eithan0693 View Post
    " Sentience is the ability to feel, perceive, or experience subjectively. Eighteenth-century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think (reason) from the ability to feel (sentience)."
    Plants are 100% sentient, they don't however have conscious thought. They do feel pain and electrincal impulses equivalent to emotion and if you say that isn't emotion or feeling then your basically saying love isn't real either and we can argue about that till the cows come home. Fact is plants react, the feel and they response. All that nerves are in the human body are electrical impulses. I don't see the difference. How ever a human will put you in jail or shoot you for stepping on their property, best to ask permission before stepping on anyone's lawn. Never the less I could reason with the want to save any life no matter if it's conscious or not.
    Plants feel pain and experience emotions? How do you know that, have they told you? Plants react to stimuli, certainly. But pain and emotion require conciousness of self which you admit plants don't possess.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emotion and pain are just electrical impulses perceived by your brain. This "awareness of self" you speak of can't even be proved due to that not every human responds to emotional stimulus the same so there for plants due to their ability to react the same to the same stimulus actually have a more advanced understanding of perception then some human beings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does a human that doesn't feel pain not think? Is someone who doesn't feel emotion incapable of thinking? No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plants don't have brains, they can not interpret these electrical impulses the way a human brain can. That is what sets us apart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ability to interpret these impulses IS what makes the difference, the impulses are still there. You can't tell me that plants don't feel, ever heard of the sensitive plant? They DO feel. Feeling and the ability to understand what that feeling is, are two completely different things thank you. They have nerves not brains, which still allows for them to be sentient, have feeling, respond, but they just don't understand it. It's subconscious , oh wait our heart beats without us thinking too, I'm not a crazy person stating plants talk and can cry, I'm simply stating from a completely scientific point of veiw they are how ever sentient and living. Living things deserve some respect, more so then the dirt they grow in that's all lol

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast