Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical question regarding wild plants and trespassing

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread turned philosophical pretty quick...

There are a few documentaries/shorts that address these questions of plants responding to pain. We know that plants can communicate with each other whether it be through mycelium, joined root systems, or the release of hormones. This has been proven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGLABm7jJ-Y

A quick google search should find more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnIsleAteHer View Post
    I think in this case, the poster is in the wrong. If these were species on the verge of being wiped out, it would be a different story. If It were a species verging on extinction, I would still ask, and if denied, id bring out the night vision goggles and field collecting supplies!
    Translation: you respect the property rights of others as long as you agree with how those others exercise said rights.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realised my last post seemed like I was being mean, I was actually thanking Axelrod12 for pointing out that they are different

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eithan0693 View Post
    " Sentience is the ability to feel, perceive, or experience subjectively. Eighteenth-century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think (reason) from the ability to feel (sentience)."
    Plants are 100% sentient, they don't however have conscious thought. They do feel pain and electrincal impulses equivalent to emotion and if you say that isn't emotion or feeling then your basically saying love isn't real either and we can argue about that till the cows come home. Fact is plants react, the feel and they response. All that nerves are in the human body are electrical impulses. I don't see the difference. How ever a human will put you in jail or shoot you for stepping on their property, best to ask permission before stepping on anyone's lawn. Never the less I could reason with the want to save any life no matter if it's conscious or not.
    Many people, myself included can reason with the want, saying that is a cop out. It's whether or not or which action is taken that is the measure of a person's morality.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They may experience electrical impulses but I believe it ends there. It's a stretch even to say they "feel" them. Without a brain to interpret them it is simply an impulse and a reaction from the plant. There is nothing to convert the impulse into emotion or feeling as you said. Certainly not the way the human brain can do so. Anyways, like you said you'll argue till the cows come home and I'm in no mood to do so.

To stay on topic. No, I would never steal plants without permission. Not just because of property rights, which I completely agree with. But because of things that happen like the link Warren provided. There's a lot of nutty people out there and they don't all stop to ask questions before pulling the trigger. Besides, like katya said, the golden rule. I wouldn't want some crazy plant fanatic running around on my newly purchased property digging holes if I didn't know what was going on. If they're choosing to clear the lot they probably won't be object to someone taking something beforehand.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Translation: you respect the property rights of others as long as you agree with how those others exercise said rights.
    I believe that conservation and saving species for future generations to enjoy is of far greater importance than the desires of one person concerning their land. Should we let orangutans and certain nepenthes species go extinct so that palm oil producers can exploit land and profit from it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Axelrod12 here actually, it is just a matter of perception. Your brain is what makes all the difference and puts humans at the tops of the food chain for that reason. Thank you for explaining and no I wasn't saying I wanted to argue, just that the argument about wether or not "love" is reason can go on forever.

I also whole heartedly agree with the second part of his post as I said a human will put your in jail or just shoot you. It's not that hard to ask and they will probably say yes anyways. If they say no then cut your losses. One can't cry over every ant that dies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no situation in which it is reasonable to skip the part of the process where some effort is made to obtain permission. While it may turn out that you cannot contact the property owner to obtain said permission, choosing to simply skip that part because the impulse to act is strong is not reasonable - it's an act of selfishness, ultimately.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast