Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical question regarding wild plants and trespassing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eithan0693 View Post
    I do actually respect bacteria? It's a very valuable part of the ecosystem. It helps break down nutrients so that my aquatic plants can absorb them again. It's essential to any digestion by humans , essential to proper water health .. all living things deserve respect. Even viruses play a role in culling out the weak organisms making for a stronger gene pool.
    Very good. What constitutes "respect"? What do you mean when you say you "respect" something? I respect plants, in that I think they are useful, but I don't consider them to have rights, or that they somehow deserve to be treated well. My dogs obviously feel and process pain, happiness, sadness, aggression-- my plants don't. Though they are living things, they are not "intelligent" in their basic processes.
    Sarracenia Addicted... Lover of all toothed Nepenthes.
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. ~ The Second Amendment

Keep it that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that living beings deserve some kind of rights wether or not they feel doesn't change the fact that they are useful. Thus laws against killing endangered species exist. The respect isn't because they have feeling it's just I respect all life, and In fact I respect a lot of non living things too and whole heartedly support not polluting our world, which is based on a respect for the land we live on and a duty to preserve my for further generation. Feel free to ask my opinions all you want but note that they are nothing more then an opinion and I would not force you to not walk on the grass for example

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eithan0693 View Post
    Treaspassing is wrong stealing is wrong there's not much to that.
    This is what I wanted to hear when I created the thread. You seem like a very reasonable person; don't think I'm trying to insult you or that I have something against you, I am merely dissecting the posts I see and trying to find logical conclusion to the statements made.

Everyone agrees that plants respond; Dionaea respond in a most obvious manner. When I saw your original posts, I got the impression that you thought that plants could feel pain, and therefore deserved to be treated well. Your subsequent posts made me realize that this was not your intention.
    Sarracenia Addicted... Lover of all toothed Nepenthes.
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. ~ The Second Amendment

Keep it that way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Do you pray before slicing your carrots?"

Good old Cleve Backster :-)
    Cleve Backster - Primary Perception - YouTube

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at all I felt I was slightly misunderstood and at one point auto correct even took over and made it seem like I was being snotty, any time I've said thank you I've been being truely sincere. Thank you katya_dog1 for taking a further look. At first I was merely pointing out plants are more "aware" then rocks but that's a lose term mainly directed at the response factor of a plant.. which obviously isn't something we argue about. We all love our Venus fly traps, but if I saw one being bulldozed I'm not going to give my life for it. I would go out of my way to save an endangered species, propagate it and return it to its natural habitat. I'm not a radicalist by any means and I don't think hugging a tree would really help ( although you show me some evidence of it.. lol ), but the world we live in In my opinion does deserve to be kept healthy to say the least. No one wants to run out of clean water.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the arguable conclusion that plants could have 'rights' (to live, to exist, to be free from wasteful exploitation, etc.) necessarily relies on a premise that plants are 'sentient' or feel pain. There are a variety of ways to reach that conclusion without such a premise.
    --Nat--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gnathaniel View Post
    Interesting analysis of force, John, but without more I don't buy the analogy. Not all of what we call 'force' is qualitatively homogenous, nor is all we call 'property'. And even from a 'natural' rights perspective, property rights are arguably much more derived and socially constructed than are rights to bodily integrity.
    Derived is the wrong word to use in terms of property rights Nat. The right to own property is a natural right, either respected and protected by a government or not. The "right" to property granted by government, such as in the case of the Kelo decision is an overreach. But in light of Wickard v. Filburn it pales in comparison.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 10-29-2015 at 02:16 PM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I never said that was the case just that because they are living they desere some respect?

I don't see the issue with saying I like to respect things so thanks katya_dog1 for understanding.

Just so y'all are aware there actually isn't an argument going on here Idk why everyone just started taking pokes at me but I didn't say that.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast