Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changes

First, my apologies to all whom are owed something from me (mostly email / PM responses but possibly more in some cases).

Second, I hate internet drama & this message may come across as some permutation of that - so, once again, my apologies.

My wife & I have been planning for many years to buy an RV (specifically a fifth wheel trailer) & travel the US (& Canada?) for months at a time - exploring & also investigating areas in which to 'retire'. We'll explore on foot, by bike & kayak (as well as vehicle) - fully armed with decent binoculars, curiosity & hopefully some camera equipment worthy of the additional weight. Part of this plan has always been to have a highland greenhouse filled with CPs & orchids & stuff upon settling outside of NJ. In my mind, these two things could co-exist. However, as plans for traveling started to become more concrete, weaknesses started to emerge. To address some of them, I designed an in-basement, highland room. As I moved forward with it's construction, I realized that it was not enough. I would not be able to create something that could be left for months & return with all inhabitants thriving (or possibly even alive).

This realization arrived in my head earlier this year (roughly in the spring) and along with it, the conclusion that I would need to lose my collection while we traveled. I've had CPs in my life (in some form) for over 30 years & the thought of being without them has tweaked my head in more ways than I could have ever envisioned. I've revisited my analysis & conclusions from many angles, always ending up in the same thoroughly uncomfortable, unsettling place.

Bottom line: as of now, 95% of my collection is gone & the last few Sarracenia will be gone around Thanksgiving. I suspect that my participation in various forums will continue as it has for the past few months (mostly nonexistent).

Depending on the vagaries of the future, I may yet end up in the PNW hosting a HL greenhouse, but for now, that vision is on hold.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck Ron ! You have given me many many rare and amazing plants over the years and once you get settled in somewhere, I'd love to help you restart your collection ! Keep us posted on what is to come and NEVER hesitate to ask me for anything that I might be able to send you !

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Eh, this doesn't count as internet drama at all... It's life, and we love sharing our lives with each other!
    Enjoy your travels Ron! We will appreciate your presence and knowledge whenever you can stop in. I'm sure there are plenty of people around that will be able to help you get your new location green in no time- whenever/wherever that may be. Till then: Be safe. Have fun in your travels. Enjoy the time with your wife and some with yourself. And share photos!!
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like an epic amount of fun!! I could never "let go" like that and therefore greatly respect your ability to do so! I hope that your travel years become everything that you dream they will be.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure this will only be a temporary break from CPs Enjoy your travels and when you get settled and back growing again, contact me and I will help you get a temperate CP collection going again.

Happy trails

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So - thinking about settling in the Pacific Northwest? Wouldn't that be fun? There are a lot of us cp types living up here and it would be great to have you living nearby.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to let us know when you restart your collection! I'd be happy to contribute some of my plants to a skilled grower such as yourself. Safe travels

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A house next to a Darlingtonia stand and a summerhouse in the middle of that stand would make the rest immaterial. Oh take me home!
    Good luck Ron, I'm sure you're in for quite an experience.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast