What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edwerdsiana care

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hamata shipped today :) it should be here by Thursday or so. The uni post office is slow though so I probably wont get it until early next week. I'm going to grow it in a bag for humidity.

My cat will probably nibble back the lowland plants (LOL!) he eats anything that sticks out of the cage. Doesn't perveli stay small though?

My hamata shipped today :) it should be here by Thursday or so. The uni post office is slow though so I probably wont get it until early next week. I'm going to grow it in a bag for humidity.

My cat will probably nibble back the lowland plants (LOL!) he eats anything that sticks out of the cage. Doesn't perveli stay small though?

75-80F constant temps = One Dead Hamata in very short order. Did you research the climate requirements for these plants at all??

Well I was thinking of turning AC on at night for the hamata and having it blow on the bag- that way humidity stays up, but the plant gets cool. Then maybe put some easier lowland plants next to an undertank reptile heater or something

Nope, that doesnt work either. The thermal properties of platic prevents cold from penetrating the plastic
And doesnt cool the plant. Also, you cannot mix highland and lowland plants. (Unless you really wana kill that hamata.)

Stop trying to go around the system skooge. Get that hamata a propper setup, and grow it correctly.
If you buy the rarest and most beautiful gems in the plant world you better show them respect and
Give them the propper conditions, especially if you have no more than 3 months experience.
starting with the most exotic plants and no setup is a recipe for plant death and grower sorrow.
(Ps- it took my highland chamber half a year to stabalize and hold correct temps/humidity.)

Sounds like you have a little under a week to get movin mate.

is it ok to just mist it a lot with DI? That way there's air movement and humidity

lolnope. Sorry buddy, it doesnt work like that either. Misting increases the humidity around the plant
by MAYBE 20%, but thats only for 3 hours at most if youre lucky. You will quickly desiccate the pitchers
and the leaves, while the mist runs down to the roots and encourages rot.

You need to get an ultrasonic humidifier, hook it up to a greenhouse (AT LEAST a person sized one)
get air movement, a stable environment, reliable lighting, and reliable cooling.

Im not trying to shoot you down here skooge, but Ive been here myself. You will bargain
ANYTHING just to try to grow the species you want, but if you do that you will find that
far down the latter, it was not worth it. You will end up back tracking and trying to fix the problem
that could have been avoided years ago if you just started it out correctly. And you hope that
those plants you once coveted so hard are not in danger. (It just so happens that the really really pretty ones like to die easily.)

Is there any way I can keep it alvie until I get a greenhouse? Can i make it go dormant?

No, these plants come from the tropics fool! there is no dormancy! :ohno:

I really dont know how you expect to work this one out dude. Ill help you as much as I can
but when you dont have lights, a humidifier, or even a place to properly grow this plant its going to
be the hat trick of the year if you can pull it off. (This is why I get all my supplies before I start the project!)

Can't I put it in stasis? like cryogenesis, they can do it with people why not plants?

Uh, you know, cryogenics is only used on dead people. Unless you've been learning everything from movies, we can't freeze people and bring them back to life.

In short, there is absolutely no way whatsoever you can keep it alive and in stasis - not by cryogenics, not by any magic tricks, nothing. You either provide the environment it needs like in its natural habitat, or it's a very expensive dead plant.

Also, on another note (since it's been asked by others many times before), putting it in the fridge every night won't work either.

Last edited:
Good grief man. How much did you pay for this Hamata? You can just wave it bye-bye once it arrives if you don't get moving and put together a setup for it. Your questions have been answered, and basically fantasy-world ideas aren't going to help. Give the plant proper, no-nonsense highland conditions, and both you and the plant will be happy.

Don't do it and your pocketbook and you will be very unhappy. The plant--

Well, it'll be dead.

I think we're being trolled, people.

Seriously, its gotta be. He won't entertain a grow chamber but will suggest cryogenics. Thats absurd, this can't be serious.

Anyway....whose turn is it to feed Walt Disney this week? I forget!

I'm having a hard time thinking otherwise. If you have already bought the plant, please send me a copy of the receipt and I'll reopen this for real conversation of how to not kill it (pretty much covered). If you have not, like others I would suggest you seriously reconsider it.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back