Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Edwerdsiana care

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edwerdsiana care

Hey all,

I'm really really interested in growing Edwardsiana. I have a cage on my windowsill with my fusca and my alata in it. I want to grow Eddy but I know it needs cold nights. I want to dunk it in ice water briefly before bed and then have the AC blowing on it all night. Other forum memebrs have told me this is bad....but I don't see why it would be? I really think I can do it

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Addition

Oh yeah there are also 2 25 watt cfl over my plants

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In brief, you could expect the ice bath to shock the plant, and then the extended, direct, dry air flow to dry it desiccate it. Ice is very much an overcompensation to what you're trying to accomplish. It's very much the same reason that you wouldn't leave a tropical plant in a hot oven over night to keep it warm.

Most organisms don't appreciate wild fluctuations in temperature over short durations.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Est Edwardsiana is a highland plant. That means it likes really big temperature fluctuations. It's not your typical houseplant- it grows on mountains in africa or asia (can't remember which) where it gets c

- - - Updated - - -

old at night

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It grows on mt. Kinabalu / Tambuyukon. You cant dunk the plant for a couple reasons first off..

Sure, that MIGHT cool it, but its more shocking than anything. YOure more likely to end up shocking the plant and never seeing it move again for a LONG time.
    Youre trying to mimic the environment that the plant came from,
    not give it a new one.

Also, making your plant that stressed and sopping wet each night is almost a guaranteed 100%success rate in giving it root rot.
    Nepenthes like to be moist, but not jungle wet dripping.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Reasonable air temp to ~0C water is not the same as a nighttime dip in temperatures. It cools down at night but there aren't ice storms. Further, soil temp swings are going to be significantly smaller than air temp swings. Dipping roots in a pot in 0C water is not mimicing any natural effect.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skoogenheimer View Post
    Est Edwardsiana is a highland plant. That means it likes really big temperature fluctuations. It's not your typical houseplant- it grows on mountains in africa or asia (can't remember which) where it gets c

- - - Updated - - -

old at night
    In the wild, the temperature doesn't just drop abruptly, it drops gradually.

As for the ice, it will lower the temperature way too quickly and most probably stress the plant up. My suggestion would be that you bring the plant into your room at night without any ice bath or whatsoever.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if I make the soil really porous and just water with cold water? Then it will get cold but shouldn't rot the roots

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast