Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dionaea M. 'Jaws' Progression

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dionaea M. 'Jaws' Progression

Figured I'd add this here... I've got some succession pictures for you. First, though, I will give you some background on this plant. It came out of dormancy this past spring and flowered for me, because I wanted to get seed from it, and my FTS Maroon Monster was flowering and I thought that would make a nice cross.

Plant flowered, set seed, et cetera-- Now it is June. I had been thinking about doing a reverse dormancy project for a while, so I decided to take this plant, bag it up, and put it in the fridge until September, to simulate dormancy.

That's right. I let this plant flower, and IMMEDIATELY shoved it right back into dormant mode without giving it a chance to replenish its strength. That shows you that this cultivar isn't made of wimpy stuff. It has been abused and is still coming back strong.

September 24

September 28

October 7

October 20

November 10

Last edited by katya_dog1; 11-11-2015 at 10:24 AM.
    Sarracenia Addicted... Lover of all toothed Nepenthes.
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. ~ The Second Amendment

Keep it that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful plant, and nicely grown! Even before I knew enough about cps to be sure it was bs, the thought of a healthy VFT (or any perennial) not being able to survive setting seed struck me as ludicrous. Annuals and biennials don't survive seed set, nor do monocarpic species. But surviving seed set to grow again next season is pretty much what separates perennials from monocarpic species......
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This plant was entered into the October photo contest. It's grown a lot since then. Thank you SubRosa, glad you liked it.
    Last edited by katya_dog1; 11-11-2015 at 07:22 AM.
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. ~ The Second Amendment

Keep it that way.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A cool little experiment! 'Looks like you really know how to do refrigerator dormancy, which can be deadly for plants if done improperly. I don't know a lot about this cultivar but it looks very nice from your photos. So now we will get to see what you get from the cross with "Maroon Monster"?
    - Mark

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! I wish I had kept my childhood flytrap collection, had some pretty nice ones . Do you grow all of yours in straight sphagnum?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skoogenheimer View Post
    Looks great! I wish I had kept my childhood flytrap collection, had some pretty nice ones . Do you grow all of yours in straight sphagnum?
    Yes... All of them are in 100% Mosser Lee LFS. The domestic, poor quality stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    A cool little experiment! 'Looks like you really know how to do refrigerator dormancy, which can be deadly for plants if done improperly. I don't know a lot about this cultivar but it looks very nice from your photos. So now we will get to see what you get from the cross with "Maroon Monster"?
    This was actually my first fridge dormancy. I didn't use fungicide or anything, I just checked on the plant and its buddies every once in a while. I'll post some seedling pictures soon.

Keep it that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing plant katya, once again
    I really like that clone.
    Last edited by Maiden; 11-13-2015 at 12:08 PM.
    Maiden

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Maiden! If you think it looks good, I must be doing something right.

Keep it that way.