What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

e2be26f12f7e368dd53a18ade78e1e24.jpg

f84aa62dfca30c6c42ab4bd59d120782.jpg

Back in spring I got a ton of D. capensis from @dozer1028 (well, winter for him) to help spread the love so to speak. I had a giveaway at my college campus and many people started growing these fun carnivorous weeds, in fact every time I walk around campus, I'm bound to see someone's capensis on a windowsill or balcony. Plenty of people have had great success with them and are even growing out their second generation capensis forests. This giveaway didn't only promote an increase in interest in sundews, now quite a few students across campus have Nepenthes, Sarracenia, Drosera, and of course, VFTs.
This year with all the interest, I created a club on campus dedicated to carnivorous plants, this club already has over a tenth of the school's population (we're a really small school), in other words, over 90 students at my school are now interested enough to learn about carnivorous plants and possibly grow them. This year I bought some seeds of D. capensis, D. capensis "Red", and D. aliciae from @SerMuncherIV and with some funding from the student government I bought 100 pots and enough sphagnum to fill them up as well as a little bit of distilled water to start everyone off. I taught them what conditions they needed and sent them links. For this first event, 34 students showed up, 12 messaged me saying that they couldn't make it but still wanted to get seeds and quite a few more will probably show up if this is offered at a different time on a different date. So far I'm thinking this is working out fairly well and I'm hoping to create a community of growers that will trade within and outside of the school in a bit of time, I will also be offering D. intermedia seeds of my own plants after stratification in spring :)
So there's some inspiration to go out and spread a little love in your community ;)

Awesome!! It is quite amazing what one passionate individual can accomplish. You'll find, as I have, that it only takes a little bit of education and a helping hand to get folks really interested in CPs. It's not something the majority of people seek out on their own.

Awesome!! It is quite amazing what one passionate individual can accomplish. You'll find, as I have, that it only takes a little bit of education and a helping hand to get folks really interested in CPs. It's not something the majority of people seek out on their own.
I agree, once people get past the point where they lack the proper information, they are generally very interested in carnivores. I would even say more so than people would of orchids

Back