User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  9
Likes Likes:  12
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: They told me not to grow it this way...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that for most of these carnivorous plants the real mitigating factor is probably sunlight. I have tried experimenting with growing various genus' either in terrariums (with and without lights), on windowsills, outside and in greenhouses. Here in SE Alaska, lower night time temperatures are never an issue, humidity is never an issue BUT available light IS an issue. A D. capensis or N. ventricosa can survive on a naturally lit windowsill here and survive, but it will barely grow and only pitcher or look somewhat healthy in the summer. With a little artificial lighting it seems that MOST carnivorous plants will grow just fine anywhere you put them. (within reason).

As a terrarium grower I have constantly heard people say, "no you can't grow that plant in a terrarium for any extended amount of time as it will quickly out grow your enclosure." I have found that for the majority of Nepenthes species (especially), that this is just not true. The plants can stay quite small and quite manageable for several years. Though, if you wish to see them flower they will need to move on eventually, but for most people, a couple of years isn't really a short amount of time. Very vigorous Nepenthes hybrids WILL usually outgrow terrariums within a year or several months though, that is true.

On the other end of the spectrum - it blows my mind that there are people that can't keep plants alive at all, considering how forgiving most plant species really are.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post Zu. I remember back in the day when I started, it was widely considered negative to have VFTs in a tank. Sometimes, you just have to consider the advice and try it out yourself. I am glad to hear about the success with your method and I am glad people try these different things. Plants can adapt to a range of conditions as long as it is within their zone of tolerance. Sometimes it is nice to push the conventions and try out alternative methods to further expand those conventions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grown as intermediate>highland
    DSC01123
    temps don't really matter in my case
    Last edited by Satanas; 12-01-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    I think that for most of these carnivorous plants the real mitigating factor is probably sunlight. I have tried experimenting with growing various genus' either in terrariums (with and without lights), on windowsills, outside and in greenhouses. Here in SE Alaska, lower night time temperatures are never an issue, humidity is never an issue BUT available light IS an issue. A D. capensis or N. ventricosa can survive on a naturally lit windowsill here and survive, but it will barely grow and only pitcher or look somewhat healthy in the summer. With a little artificial lighting it seems that MOST carnivorous plants will grow just fine anywhere you put them. (within reason).

As a terrarium grower I have constantly heard people say, "no you can't grow that plant in a terrarium for any extended amount of time as it will quickly out grow your enclosure." I have found that for the majority of Nepenthes species (especially), that this is just not true. The plants can stay quite small and quite manageable for several years. Though, if you wish to see them flower they will need to move on eventually, but for most people, a couple of years isn't really a short amount of time. Very vigorous Nepenthes hybrids WILL usually outgrow terrariums within a year or several months though, that is true.

On the other end of the spectrum - it blows my mind that there are people that can't keep plants alive at all, considering how forgiving most plant species really are.
    Yeah, all these years later (4?), my N.hamiguitanensis is hitting the top of my 1' cube terrarium at work, and I have to figure out what to do with it. It really hates life in low humidity... Im not sure what to do yet. Space restrictions mean I can't get a bigger terra, and it will just sulk and sulk at home on the window. Maybe I need to keep it bagged forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out my growlist: Satanas's Grow List

All of these are grown in less than "ideal" conditions, but grow perfectly fine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanas View Post
    Check out my growlist: Satanas's Grow List

All of these are grown in less than "ideal" conditions, but grow perfectly fine.
    Can you let us know your growing conditions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Can you let us know your growing conditions?
    Simple glass terrarium; open glass top

Day: 2 full spectrum LED, 1 UFO grow spectrum LED
    Night: Humidifier, 2 quiet computer fans.

That simple, I mist every few days and coffee treat every month and a half or so.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Yeah, all these years later (4?), my N.hamiguitanensis is hitting the top of my 1' cube terrarium at work, and I have to figure out what to do with it. It really hates life in low humidity... Im not sure what to do yet. Space restrictions mean I can't get a bigger terra, and it will just sulk and sulk at home on the window. Maybe I need to keep it bagged forever.
    haha See? 4 years! WHERE'S YOUR HIGHLAND GREENHOUSE ZU?

Why can't you have it in a small terrarium at home? I don't know if it could help at all, but perhaps just a large cup or tupperware container that you could put over the plant during the night only could help it enough to form leaves and such?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Satanas View Post
    Simple glass terrarium; open glass top

Day: 2 full spectrum LED, 1 UFO grow spectrum LED
    Night: Humidifier, 2 quiet computer fans.

That simple, I mist every few days and coffee treat every month and a half or so.
    Not to be controversial, but to me, that honestly sounds close to ideal for Nepenthes.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast