Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimum dormancy length?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Temperate CP's should be kept outdoors, no questions about it. That said, messing up a single dormancy isn't going to kill your plants. If it happens a couple years in a row, the plant has problems. I've always been of the opinion that if you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly. Thankfully I don't, but if I had to give my temperates an indoor dormancy, it would be in a refrigerator.
    If I put them outdoors, they would freeze solid. It happened to someone I know last year, who had his in a heated birdbath in a box outside that kept them at about 40. Power went out for a day, whole bog garden was a brick and nothing grew back the next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    You lowered the temperature by opening a window so the problem is the inside temperature. D. binata isn't temperate anyway
    Outdoor temperature was 55-65 the past week, indoor temperature went up to the same amount. Yesterday temperature dropped to 30, so I opened the window to get the indoor one down faster.

And whatever that forked sundew is, it's definitely temperate. Four of them sprouted from the pots of Sarracenia, so either the seeds went somewhere odd or they were grown alongside Sarracenia. I don't think they're a normal binata though.
    Last edited by Cruzzfish; 12-29-2015 at 07:38 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone living in a cold climate should read Carl Mazur's blog about growing temperate CPs in USDA zone 6. He grows all his plants in raised beds outdoors where they live year round. There are ways to accommodate the winter needs of temperate species that do not involve complicated workarounds like electrically heated birdbaths and stuffing the fridge full of bare-root rhizomes. That just ain't necessary!

PS: I cannot overemphasize how important it is to state where you live when soliciting advice for growing specific plants, and addressing specific climate-related issues. If you do not reveal anything about your climate/zone, its difficult to give appropriate advice.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 12-29-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Connecticut. That is very irrelevant at the current time, seeing as I was only asking if they would reenter dormancy, which is a no, and if they would do well, which is a maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzfish View Post
    If I put them outdoors, they would freeze solid. It happened to someone I know last year, who had his in a heated birdbath in a box outside that kept them at about 40. Power went out for a day, whole bog garden was a brick and nothing grew back the next year.

Outdoor temperature was 55-65 the past week, indoor temperature went up to the same amount. Yesterday temperature dropped to 30, so I opened the window to get the indoor one down faster.

And whatever that forked sundew is, it's definitely temperate. Four of them sprouted from the pots of Sarracenia, so either the seeds went somewhere odd or they were grown alongside Sarracenia. I don't think they're a normal binata though.
    If you pamper your temperate plants, you get wimpy plants that require pampering. Last winter was my first with my in ground bog. The previous 2, including the coldest and snowiest winter in recorded history here ( outside Philadelphia, zone 7A) they wintered over in above ground half barrels that got no protection beyond being placed near a south facing brick wall. There were two periods of approximately a week each in which temps dropped into the low single digits F at night and stayed below freezing all day. I assure you those barrels froze solid during those periods. Where are you located?
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the plant has broken dormancy, you'd be best to follow its lead and treat it as a growing plant. And to avoid this problem in the future, when the threat of freeze is past put the plants outside and keep them there.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As John states, the problem already exists so you have little choice now. But it would be a much better option next year to induce a proper dormancy that involves leaving the truly temperate species outside - but making all reasonable provisions for their protection.

Divulging ones climate conditions is never "irrelevant" to any discussion about the proper care of the plants we cultivate.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    There are forms of D.binata are indeed temperate. Many of them grow in very temperate areas of South Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand. I grow a small red form of D.binata binata and D.binata dichotoma "Giant' outside year round here in Boston.
    I grew a pot of D binata in an unheated (outside ambient tempterature) greenhouse for almost thirty years too. It finally succumbed when the temperature dropped too low. I suppose it depends on your definition of 'Temperate'.
    Last edited by fredg; 12-29-2015 at 01:37 PM.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No new growth on anything since this thread was posted, and Drosera binata's leaf stopped unfurling halfway. They appear to have returned to dormancy, but they could just be growing really slowly because it is cold again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12