Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimum dormancy length?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minimum dormancy length?

New England has had a few hot days recently, but I didn't think much of it until today. I looked at the bog tray and saw a forked leaf sundew unfurling a pair of new leaves. One of my VFTs appears to be doing the same. I cracked open a window and the room rapidly dropped to a reasonable dormancy temperature again, but those two plants at least appear to have already woke up. Will they go back to sleep, or should I just treat them like I would in the summer and let them go through with their sleep next year? The sphagnum moss also started filling in(tiny little sprouts), which it doesn't do in the winter. The sundew at least looks like it's been through a full dormancy cycle in that the new leaves are nearly three times as large as the set it had last year, and the VFT looks like it might be growing again too. Will this have a negative effect on their health, seeing as they normally need to sleep for longer, or does the increase in size mean it counts as full to them? It should be noted that another three forked leaf sundews are still asleep, as are the other three VFTs. D. filliformis looks like it might have just started the wakeup process, then stopped midway through.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are these plants indoors? In a heated room? If so, there's nothing you can do to prompt them back into dormancy once they've resumed growth. Temperate plants should not be overwintered indoors where temps are too warm to keep them in a dormant state.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Are these plants indoors? In a heated room? If so, there's nothing you can do to prompt them back into dormancy once they've resumed growth. Temperate plants should not be overwintered indoors where temps are too warm to keep them in a dormant state.
    Indoors yes, in a heated room not really. The issue is that the past week or so has been in the upper fifties to low seventies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temperate species will not remain dormant if overwintered in a room where temps remain above 50F

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Temperate species will not remain dormant if overwintered in a room where temps remain above 50F
    I am very much aware of that. It would have been impossible to provide a lower temperature for them given the weather. I'm wondering if the time they got is enough so that they don't die over the summer.

Also, last year my VFTs were repeatedly in the low 60s during the day, and they stayed blackened and dormant until march.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzfish View Post
    Indoors yes, in a heated room not really. The issue is that the past week or so has been in the upper fifties to low seventies.
    You lowered the temperature by opening a window so the problem is the inside temperature. D. binata isn't temperate anyway
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    D. binata isn't temperate anyway
    There are forms of D.binata are indeed temperate. Many of them grow in very temperate areas of South Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand. I grow a small red form of D.binata binata and D.binata dichotoma "Giant' outside year round here in Boston.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temperate CP's should be kept outdoors, no questions about it. That said, messing up a single dormancy isn't going to kill your plants. If it happens a couple years in a row, the plant has problems. I've always been of the opinion that if you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly. Thankfully I don't, but if I had to give my temperates an indoor dormancy, it would be in a refrigerator.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast