Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made a mistake repotting with Plastering sand- need help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made a mistake repotting with Plastering sand- need help

So I repotted my plants two days ago. Around 20 plants. Instead of using peat/perlite mix for the sarrs, drosera, and vfts I went with peat/sand mix. Apparently I bought the wrong kind of sand because I used "Western States Wholesale washed plastering sand". I did 3:1 ratio peat/sand for the sarrs and drosera. Then I did a 1:1 ratio peat/sand for the vfts. I also replanted a few mexican pings with vermiculite, peat, sand, perlite, pumice, gypsum at 1:1:1:1:1:1. Do I need to replant all of these again using a different sand? Also, if I do, can you tell me a type of sand I can get from either Lowes or Home Depot? thanks you
    Last edited by Spintix357; 12-31-2015 at 01:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with the plastering sand so unfortunately I cannot answer your first question.

I get all my sand from pool supply stores. They come in big bags labeled "pool filter sand." Shop around because some bags of pool filter sand seem more coarse than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is quartz or silica sand it is probably ok. It appears that company sells bags of swimming pool sand (limestone - no good) and "crystal quartz sand" too. See if you can find the MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheet) which will list what it is composed of. I see "washed sand" listed in their catalog but all it says is that it is sand from riverbeds that has been screened for mesh size.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 12-31-2015 at 06:50 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    If it is quartz or silica sand it is probably ok. It appears that company sells bags of swimming pool sand (limestone - no good) and "crystal quartz sand" too. See if you can find the MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheet) which will list what it is composed of. I see "washed sand" listed in their catalog but all it says is that it is sand from riverbeds that has been screened for mesh size.
    Swimming pool filter sand is never limestone based. Bad things happen.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    To add on to this, what is the exact product you used? I can't find anything in the actual catalog called washed plastering sand. I'd recommend repotting if you can't find it just to be sure.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Swimming pool filter sand is never limestone based. Bad things happen.
    It's not filter sand, but sand mixed into the plaster for swimming pools.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, yes that would likely be limestone based.....
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzfish View Post
    To add on to this, what is the exact product you used? I can't find anything in the actual catalog called washed plastering sand. I'd recommend repotting if you can't find it just to be sure.
    On the bag it just says Western States Wholesale washed plastering sand. I got it from a local green thumb nursery. Can you tell me a brand of sand I can get from Lowes or Home Depot? Preferably one that is already washed.

QUIKRETE 50-lbs Play Sand from Lowes seems like a good choice?
    Last edited by Spintix357; 12-31-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast