Informational! Informational!:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spectra for CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is pretty interesting . Now I have a new project and just in time to test my new COB led lights my son and I just built with the help of Naoki! Cant wait to build one and test my new lights.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Cindy,

Curious, are the panel and tank made by the same company?
    Their spectra is very similar
    Hi Butch, the panel and tank LEDs are from different companies. The wattage of the panel one is more higher though...I have to be about 2-3 the distance away from the panel in order to get the spectrum without overexposure.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spectral curve very similarly though, I'm guessing the panel has more emitters or different secondary optics?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many articles on how blue or red light affects the growth of the plants and I am a total noob. The decision to try this is entirely due to the fun factor, and also because the high red, low blue ratio has given me some success with Nepenthes (see the N. kampotiana below grown only under red/blue leds).

Here are the preliminary results from the use of the red/blue leds (different ratios). A pure coincidence...I didn't buy the pots to match the lights. I bought them way earlier.

Some stuff to bear in mind...
    1. The plants are all in lowland conditions: high humidity and 30-33degC
    2. The Cephalotus plants were newly imported and definitely suffered some setback.
    3. The starting size for each genus was as similar as possible and the plants were all from the same original conditions e.g. Viking seedlings were growing together ever since they germinated.
    4. The bulbs are dirt cheap.

Set-up in January

Lights are switched on during the day on a 14-hour cycle

I actually did not photograph the plants individually when I started the experiment..ppffttt...

Plants in April - order from the top: blue, purple then orange pot (corresponds to most blue, mixture and most red light)

Cindy

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it looks like the balanced light is doing far better than the single colors judging by your pictures. The Neps don't seem to care much though.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off-hand it appears that the blue did the poorest, which is surprising to me.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are these 3 bulbs drawing the same amount of power?
    I had a lot of variability while testing a few available bulbs, ranging from 3W to 17W for the best one (sold as 45W).

@bluemax (from what I recall from my plant biology classes, a long time ago so I may be partially wrong)
    Red should be the most important wavelength, that's where chlorophyll-a have its peak absorption (in visible, also one in near UV). Chlorophyll-b absorbs in blue (and also in orange-red).
    Finally chloro-a is ~twice more abundant than chloro-b so in term of photosynthesis efficiency (often labeled as PAR) red should be higher.

That's also why in most grow light settings, especially for TC, is a mix of red:blue with a ration 4:1 to 6:1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bulbs are 7W each. 6B1R, 5R2B and 6B1R.
    Cindy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast