Informational! Informational!:  9
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Order these 3 plants according to heat tolerance

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on whether or not you have a coastal vs. mountain Darlingtonia will greatly affect its tolerance to high temperatures (air or root). Otherwise, most of those plants will tolerate high temperatures, IF combined with cooler nighttime temperatures, especially with Cephs and D. regia. Darlingtonia is a lot more concerned about root aeration/oxygenation above everything else.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Darlingtonia is a lot more concerned about root aeration/oxygenation above everything else.
    That would not be my experience.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow D. Regia outside in the sun, It is covered with a 50% shade cloth and grows in a glazed ceramic pot. The plant gets about 4-5 hours of morning sun. The temps have gone up to 110 F this summer and it has not flinched. I do like to top water my plant with refrigerated RO water, especially when it gets really hot.

My Cephalotus grows indoors under a grow-rack. Temps go up to 89 F in the rack. I have also got a small computer fan blowing air into the rack to get some good air movement in there.
    Last edited by Brolloks; 01-25-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spintix357, here is my ranking based on year round 75-100F temperatures in my ultra lowland conditions.

Cephalotus - grows at my balcony year round but dies back during the hottest season
    D. regia/Cobra Lily - cannot be grown outdoors without night temperature drops

Just to highlight that my problem for these plants is the lack of a significant night temperature drop coupled with ultra high humidity. Cephalotus is most forgving but if I push my luck, it won't survive past 2 years in consistently high heat day and night. Also, pots are preferably to be kept cool for Cephalotus as well as the other two species.
    Last edited by Cindy; 01-25-2016 at 10:25 PM.
    Cindy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12