What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Order these 3 plants according to heat tolerance

As far as problems thriving with high heat (90-100 degrees Fahrenheit) please rank these plants from most tolerant to least tolerant and what temperatures are typically too high for them in your own personal experience. This is regardless of humidity.

Drosera Regia
Darlingtonia Californica
Cephalotus

thank you

Last edited:
As far as problems thriving with high heat (90-100 degrees Fahrenheit) please rank these plants from most tolerant to least tolerant and what temperatures are typically too high for them in your own personal experience. This is regardless of humidity.

Drosera Regia
Darlingtonia Californica
Cephalotus

thank you

As long as all other growing conditions are met, I've seen people grow all 3 of those plants in that temp range.

All I know is that Darlingtonia is the lowest. Their soil should be kept cooler, but the air temp can go up.

I'm pretty sure the heat sensitivity of Darlingtonia is a bit exaggerated, just like how many people still think they need to be protected from the sun. When I got mine last year, I was recommended by an experienced local grower to put it in a water tray next to my Sarracenia in full sun, and it didn't skip a beat all through the summer heat. It certainly wasn't one of our hotter summers but it go into the 90's plenty of times.

I have never grown Cephalotus but I have grown both Darlingtonia and Drosera regia in my backyard where temperatures can often reach 90 to 100 degrees. I grow them in unglazed terra cotta pots. My Drosera regia is still alive after 2 years but my Darlingtonia died due to root rot during a rainy period, so I believe it was unrelated to temperature. It had gotten noticeably bigger before it died.

When comparing Drosera to Darlingtonia and Cephalotus you'll need to consider humidity with the temps. Cephs and Darlings can tolerate pretty dry air, but mixed with the heat, D. regia won't be too happy.

I grow all three in an unheated greenhouse and I certainly reach those temperatures. I keep all three standing in water during the growing seasons. The Darlingtonia I grow i undrained shallow trays of live Sphagnum Moss
I have recorded Darlingtonia root temperatures up to 96F. At the other end of the scale, all three have also been subjected to 0F but I wouldn't recommend doing that on purpose.

................. my Darlingtonia died due to root rot during a rainy period, so I believe it was unrelated to temperature.

I would suggest the root rot had nothing to do with the rainy period.

Depending on whether or not you have a coastal vs. mountain Darlingtonia will greatly affect its tolerance to high temperatures (air or root). Otherwise, most of those plants will tolerate high temperatures, IF combined with cooler nighttime temperatures, especially with Cephs and D. regia. Darlingtonia is a lot more concerned about root aeration/oxygenation above everything else.

I grow D. Regia outside in the sun, It is covered with a 50% shade cloth and grows in a glazed ceramic pot. The plant gets about 4-5 hours of morning sun. The temps have gone up to 110 F this summer and it has not flinched. I do like to top water my plant with refrigerated RO water, especially when it gets really hot.

My Cephalotus grows indoors under a grow-rack. Temps go up to 89 F in the rack. I have also got a small computer fan blowing air into the rack to get some good air movement in there.

Last edited:
Spintix357, here is my ranking based on year round 75-100F temperatures in my ultra lowland conditions.

Cephalotus - grows at my balcony year round but dies back during the hottest season
D. regia/Cobra Lily - cannot be grown outdoors without night temperature drops

Just to highlight that my problem for these plants is the lack of a significant night temperature drop coupled with ultra high humidity. Cephalotus is most forgving but if I push my luck, it won't survive past 2 years in consistently high heat day and night. Also, pots are preferably to be kept cool for Cephalotus as well as the other two species.

Last edited:
Back