Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Order these 3 plants according to heat tolerance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Order these 3 plants according to heat tolerance

As far as problems thriving with high heat (90-100 degrees Fahrenheit) please rank these plants from most tolerant to least tolerant and what temperatures are typically too high for them in your own personal experience. This is regardless of humidity.

Drosera Regia
    Darlingtonia Californica
    Cephalotus

thank you
    Last edited by Spintix357; 01-21-2016 at 06:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spintix357 View Post
    As far as problems thriving with high heat (90-100 degrees Fahrenheit) please rank these plants from most tolerant to least tolerant and what temperatures are typically too high for them in your own personal experience. This is regardless of humidity.

Drosera Regia
    Darlingtonia Californica
    Cephalotus

thank you
    As long as all other growing conditions are met, I've seen people grow all 3 of those plants in that temp range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I know is that Darlingtonia is the lowest. Their soil should be kept cooler, but the air temp can go up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the replies guys

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure the heat sensitivity of Darlingtonia is a bit exaggerated, just like how many people still think they need to be protected from the sun. When I got mine last year, I was recommended by an experienced local grower to put it in a water tray next to my Sarracenia in full sun, and it didn't skip a beat all through the summer heat. It certainly wasn't one of our hotter summers but it go into the 90's plenty of times.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never grown Cephalotus but I have grown both Darlingtonia and Drosera regia in my backyard where temperatures can often reach 90 to 100 degrees. I grow them in unglazed terra cotta pots. My Drosera regia is still alive after 2 years but my Darlingtonia died due to root rot during a rainy period, so I believe it was unrelated to temperature. It had gotten noticeably bigger before it died.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When comparing Drosera to Darlingtonia and Cephalotus you'll need to consider humidity with the temps. Cephs and Darlings can tolerate pretty dry air, but mixed with the heat, D. regia won't be too happy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow all three in an unheated greenhouse and I certainly reach those temperatures. I keep all three standing in water during the growing seasons. The Darlingtonia I grow i undrained shallow trays of live Sphagnum Moss
    I have recorded Darlingtonia root temperatures up to 96F. At the other end of the scale, all three have also been subjected to 0F but I wouldn't recommend doing that on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    ................. my Darlingtonia died due to root rot during a rainy period, so I believe it was unrelated to temperature.
    I would suggest the root rot had nothing to do with the rainy period.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast