Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seed disaster

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagalotus View Post
    I am pretty sure it was the media's fault because I've never had issues with sphag. Not saying its because I used peat, I am saying the peat ( or maybe sand) was full of spores which caused the issue.
    That seems likely, yes. Best to sterilize this Peat in the future before using it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    That seems likely, yes. Best to sterilize this Peat in the future before using it.
    Is putting it in an oven or microwave a better idea? I recall reading that microwaving peat breaks it down faster, but I am not sure.
    Last edited by Swagalotus; 01-24-2016 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is putting it in an oven or microwave a better idea? I recall reading that microwaving peat breaks it down faster, but I am not sure.
    That is more an issue with Sphagnum moss, not Peat.

see: Start Seed and Transplants in Sterilized Soil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peat is already broken down and somewhat decayed sphagnum, so it'll take quite a bit to make it break down more.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally microwave my media. Make sure you wet it before microwaving it, because I've almost set some on fire once hahaha. You don't need very much microwaving (1 minute or so for small batches, depending on microwave strength). My peat never seems to degrade before I got around to repotting my plants, but it definitely stays cleaner for a lot longer, though. I just microwaved some last night before sowing some sundews.
    Last edited by Doomsday; 01-24-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
    I personally microwave my media. Make sure you wet it before microwaving it, because I've almost set some on fire once hahaha. You don't need very much microwaving (1 minute or so for small batches, depending on microwave strength). My peat never seems to degrade before I got around to repotting my plants, but it definitely stays cleaner for a lot longer, though. I just microwaved some last night before sowing some sundews.
    Had I know this earlier I might have saved myself over 1000 seeds...

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive never microwaved my soils, and usually everything turns out ok. its not an ABSOLUTE must, but it helps.

Also, Ive had some nepenthes seeds and VFT seeds become moldy and germinate. dont give up hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, sometimes seeds just get moldy. Germinating some nepenthes seeds right now, two previous batches have both come up with a good number of seedlings but this recent one is showing signs of mold on a few seeds so it got the peroxide treatment just today. And these were all with me microwaving the media and sterilising the seeds, pots all in the same conditions.
    Last edited by Stranger; 01-25-2016 at 03:00 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12