Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good but Cheap Humidifier?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good but Cheap Humidifier?

Hey all. Recently my repti fogger humidifer broke down. Many times I had left it on on the low setting and it turned itself off when the water ran out. I left it on on the high setting, the water ran out, and the humidifier stayed on. When I came back some of the water from the reservoir had managed to leak down to where all the electric parts, and it was reeeeaaally hot. I turned it off, let it cool, tried it again and it didn't work. I tried it again a week later just to make sure, and it's still broken. I'm guessing the transducer plate got fried, and although I could replace it I don't want to risk setting my house on fire. The hose on the reptifogger is great, the bottle is great, but as with many zoo med products it leaked and broke.

I am looking for a good but cheap ultrasonic humidifier to replace my repti fogger. I am currently thinking of buying this one:
    Ultrasonic Humidifier Cool Mist Filter Free Portable w 1 2 Gallon Daily Output | eBay

Any advice or recommendations?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so you know, humidifiers won't create dense clouds of fog like a repti-fogger. They'll raise the humidity levels, for sure, but won't create a low hanging cloud.

*Edit*
    I actually spent some time looking around, and there are a lot more ultrasonic humidifiers now than I remember. They used to be almost all heat based, and I've gone through a few for my bedroom and never got clouds. I have no experience with some of the newer ultrasonic ones, but I'm still not sure it would make sense for them to create the same low hanging dense clouds, because that would primarily raise the humidity of a rooms floor, way before the upper parts of the room.
    Last edited by Doomsday; 02-03-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Doomsday I thought they were the same thing. I guess you learn something new every day.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagalotus View Post
    @Doomsday I thought they were the same thing. I guess you learn something new every day.
    Humidifiers are the things people put in their rooms to raise the room humidity levels, and while they do produce little visible puffs of humidity, they don't hang around like clouds. Humidifiers also usually use heat to make water vapor, whereas a fogger usually uses ultrasonic waves to create a cool, dense fog that hugs the ground. Foggers generally don't work as well for entire rooms unless you run enough to create a cloudy room, but work extremely well for terrariums and such, where a low hanging cloud is ideal. The clouds they make are also aesthetically amazing. Not much looks cooler than a nice mossy terrarium with dense fog slowly creeping around some carnivorous plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To up the humidity in my enclosure I usually go to walmart and buy something there. Vicks usually has some with 1.2 gallon containers that work well as long as you keep up the maintenance on them

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
    Just so you know, humidifiers won't create dense clouds of fog like a repti-fogger. They'll raise the humidity levels, for sure, but won't create a low hanging cloud.
    Well, I wouldnt really say that..

The reptifoggers make exquisite mist that hang for a little while and also raise humididty.
    They have special crystal pads/ membranes that vibrate EXTRA fast, so the mist particles are extremely small.
    This is what allows the vapor like hanging the clouds do.

Normal humidifiers do the exact same thing. Except they arent nearly as fast as the repti foggers,
    So the mist wont hang in the air AS long, but it will hang for a little.
    I use a walgreens humidifier for my nepenthes chamber. If I leave it on for more than ten minutes,
    The entire growspace turns into a white cube. One so white and cloudy that you can no longer see the plants.

In the end, it comes down to what you like. I find it kind of hard to find specific humidifiers because The same model doesnt stay on the market for long. They constantly change in shape and function.
    I suggest looking for something that puts out a good volume of humididty, and something that is easy to use with your setup.
    Last edited by NemJones; 01-27-2016 at 11:22 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the one I posted look good?

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive never seen it in action, So i cant say.
    I also dont know what you inted to use it for, or how it would fit your enclosure.
    The question is, does it look good to you?
    Last edited by NemJones; 01-27-2016 at 11:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast