Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gmo nepenthes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NemJones View Post
    I honestly do not understand this overobsession with genetically modified garbage.
    These plants are perfectly adapted and genetically varied / colored, and have been for hundreds of years.
    We have purples, blacks, whites, ones with fangs, ones with teeth, and absolute goliaths.
    What is it that you could possibly be wanting to modify further from natural perfection?

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, what about it? Ive seen a few just like this on ebay.
    Many times infact.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically gmo is just a "modern" way to combine different genetic traits, so in this case I would say why bother creating new hybrids, or selecting the best seedlings?

I'm not sure bigger fangs would make sense but what about an easy and fast growing edwardsiana, or a low humidity/warm temp tolerant lowland?
    CRISPR/Cas9 is already working on plants so it's almost trivial to do any kind of gmo nowadays, but hopefully it will not mean luminescent nepenthes (except on April 1st).

We can imagine many ethically wrong and/or mostly useless things possible to do. But also some useful ones to reintroduce some species by allowing them to be a little more tolerant in their growth condition. Don't get me wrong, I still don't think we should do it, protecting the current ecosystems they growth in is a better option.

( @jurow very nice plant, is it one of these variegated alata?)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emc2 View Post
    Technically gmo is just a "modern" way to combine different genetic traits, so in this case I would say why bother creating new hybrids, or selecting the best seedlings?

We can imagine many ethically wrong and/or mostly useless things possible to do. But also some useful ones to reintroduce some species by allowing them to be a little more tolerant in their growth condition. Don't get me wrong, I still don't think we should do it, protecting the current ecosystems they growth in is a better option.

If by modern, you mean artificial, then yes.

and Honestly, I dont think the plants care about becoming artificially "more tolerant". They have been perfectly tolerant
    for the hundreds of years in their environments before humans came along and changed them. Its just people getting bored and editing genes because they can,
    or just because theyre bored. (or both.) People are only GMOing so we can sell it. or do something for people.

To me, it just feels like another marketing ploy and people just wanting to edit things in order to say "I made this all on my own, humans rule, (blah blah)"
    or something along those lines. Just like the luminescent tobacco plant that came out a few years back. Sure, there is legitimate scientific research and purpose behind it,
    but its just another thing humans want to dip their hands into and ruin. IT seems like owning the world and everything after that just wasnt enough.
    Last edited by NemJones; 03-01-2016 at 10:32 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NemJones View Post
    Well, what about it? Ive seen a few just like this on ebay.
    Many times infact.
    You have indeed. They were listed by me.

Sorry if the post was unclear. This is an example of a plant that exists outside the realm of this particular species' "natural perfection." The parent plant was selected in cultivation, and (based on the prices the divisions command) is 10-20x more valuable than a comparable non-variegated specimen. What do you think a variegated N. macrophylla or N. hamata would cost compared to a regular one? Inducing variegation (through selection, virus, artificial mutation, etc) is a relatively old horticultural trick to increase the value of plants. Now imagine the possibilities that will emerge as genetic modification becomes increasingly accessible. Hopefully that answers your question.

---------Edit---------
    @emc2: yep, that's the one.
    Last edited by jurow; 03-01-2016 at 10:48 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That did clear it up a little bit, thanks.

So in short, youre just modifying to make them look different, and jacking up price because of the differentiation?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jurow View Post
    You have indeed. They were listed by me.

Sorry if the post was unclear. This is an example of a plant that exists outside the realm of this particular species' "natural perfection." The parent plant was selected in cultivation, and (based on the prices the divisions command) is 10-20x more valuable than a comparable non-variegated specimen. What do you think a variegated N. macrophylla or N. hamata would cost compared to a regular one? Inducing variegation (through selection, virus, artificial mutation, etc) is a relatively old horticultural trick to increase the value of plants. Now imagine the possibilities that will emerge as genetic modification becomes increasingly accessible. Hopefully that answers your question.
    But this sort of genetic modification has a lot to do with chance as well. GMO Nepenthes (as in, selectively altering genetic code), I believe, would not even sell at a high price. Turns them more into a novelty than a work of art. Think of an easy growing GMO N. rajah, that anyone can keep alive on a windowsill. Sure, plenty of people would buy it, but eventually, people will turn to the real one, as part of the mystique of Nepenthes is being able to successfully grow the difficult ones.
    Last edited by Benurmanii; 03-01-2016 at 10:46 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benurmanii View Post
    Turns them more into a novelty than a work of art.
    I would say Both. However, Ive seen a few of those that Jurow posted go for a spectacular price tag.
    Theyre stunning and unusual, which is why they are usually such head turners.

Thats half the reason I absolutely hate GMO critters. Its all about money, and on top of that, youre letting
    artificially created life out into the natural world (possibly to propagate and mix with natural populations.)
    I know others dont agree with me, But I feel this is a crime against nature and both sides should be segregated from
    eachother.

I guess in the end, it all comes down to natural sugar, or artificial sweetener.
    (IT just saddens me that nobody believes in the quarantine/segregation clauses.)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast