User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 25 to 32 of 42

Thread: Gmo nepenthes

  1. #25
    jurow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NemJones View Post
    That did clear it up a little bit, thanks.

    So in short, youre just modifying to make them look different, and jacking up price because of the differentiation?
    No need for passive-aggression. I'm not "jacking" anything up. I listed those plants for the same $.99 starting price as every other auction I make. The market determines the value of these traits, and as a vendor it's in my best interest to provide the plants that customers perceive as valuable.

  2. #26
    Swagalotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jurow View Post
    No need for passive-aggression. I'm not "jacking" anything up. I listed those plants for the same $.99 starting price as every other auction I make. The market determines the value of these traits, and as a vendor it's in my best interest to provide the plants that customers perceive as valuable.
    Getting off topic here.

    I just think that GMOing cps would ruin their uniqueness. What makes them so cool (at least in my opinion) is that these plants evolved some amazing colors, shapes, and mechanisms all by themselves, and if humans were to interfere with them in a way that would not happen naturally, it would be ruining their "specialness"

  3. #27
    I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Zone 5
    Posts
    830
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jurow View Post
    No need for passive-aggression. I'm not "jacking" anything up. I listed those plants for the same $.99 starting price as every other auction I make. The market determines the value of these traits, and as a vendor it's in my best interest to provide the plants that customers perceive as valuable.
    Not trying to be agressive, Im just pointing out that the market moves like that. No agression intended, and I know that you started them that low.
    Im just trying to show my point of how the market moves and why It does so. (I threw in a couple bids on those plants mind you!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Swagalotus View Post
    Getting off topic here.

    I just think that GMOing cps would ruin their uniqueness. What makes them so cool (at least in my opinion) is that these plants evolved some amazing colors, shapes, and mechanisms all by themselves, and if humans were to interfere with them in a way that would not happen naturally, it would be ruining their "specialness"
    This is also what im trying to get at. But it seems by human nature, people just want to modify it
    and put their own personal touch into it because it just simply, wasnt good enough from the start.
    Ill try to keep my further opinions out of this thread because i dont want to derail it further.

  4. #28
    nimbulan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,355
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagalotus View Post
    Getting off topic here.

    I just think that GMOing cps would ruin their uniqueness. What makes them so cool (at least in my opinion) is that these plants evolved some amazing colors, shapes, and mechanisms all by themselves, and if humans were to interfere with them in a way that would not happen naturally, it would be ruining their "specialness"
    Humans have already been altering animals and plants for thousands of years by way of selective breeding in ways that would not occur naturally. Most of our food, both animal- and plant- based, are human creations that often bear only a vague resemblance to the original naturally-occurring organisms.

    Genetic modification is certainly faster, allows us to more easily target specific traits, and allows for greater modification than breeding for sure, but it's not such a giant leap.
    Last edited by nimbulan; 03-02-2016 at 12:52 AM.

  5. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    361
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just want to clear something up, GMOs are organisms that have been changed by humans (whether by high tech means or selective breeding which has been done with Nepenthes)(or orchids or corn or watermelon etc)
    GEO (genetically engineered organisms) are organisms that people have taken and changed the DNA of to include parts of the DNA of another organism

  6. #30
    nimbulan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,355
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SFLguy View Post
    Just want to clear something up, GMOs are organisms that have been changed by humans (whether by high tech means or selective breeding which has been done with Nepenthes)(or orchids or corn or watermelon etc)
    GEO (genetically engineered organisms) are organisms that people have taken and changed the DNA of to include parts of the DNA of another organism
    I'm pretty sure that is incorrect. GMO specifically refers to organisms modified by genetic engineering, not by selective breeding.

    Personally I'm starting to dislike the term since it has picked up a strong negative connotation during the debate about genetically modified food.

  7. #31

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    361
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    I'm pretty sure that is incorrect. GMO specifically refers to organisms modified by genetic engineering, not by selective breeding.

    Personally I'm starting to dislike the term since it has picked up a strong negative connotation during the debate about genetically modified food.
    That's just what I was taught. The reasoning was that any organism that has traits that would not be found in the wild would be an organism that has been genetically modified. (i.e bulldogs, domesticated cattle, and most of the fruits and vegetables that we eat today)

  8. #32

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK, USA
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll need a basic mol. biol. lab for the transformation, so it's unlikely that hobbyists would do the transformation.

    It looks like people have developed Agrobacterium (bacteria frequently used for plant transformation) gene delivery system for Drosera, and they inserted GFP (green florescent protein). Here is the abstract:
    Transformation of sundew: pitfalls and promises - Springer

    Here is the brief description of a bigger picture of the project describing the application of the technology:
    Laboratoire Agronomie et Environnement: Milk Plants Technology

    Here is the patent related to this:
    Patent US8178749 - Process for the production of recombinant proteins using carnivorous plants - Google Patents

    They mention about using Nepenthes for the harvest, but I didn't find anything showing the success of Nepenthes transformation.

    I think that it could be a very interesting idea, and it will be interesting to see what will happen with it.
    Last edited by naoki; 03-03-2016 at 12:12 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New species of Nepenthes discovered, Nepenthes zygon.
    By Sashoke in forum Tropical Pitcher Plants  (Nepenthes)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-16-2014, 05:04 PM
  2. LOOKING FOR NEPENTHES HAMATA RED HAIRY have lots of very rare nepenthes and helis
    By ElectrCarnvrs in forum Carnivorous Plant Trading Post
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 08:22 PM
  3. Trade: Nepenthes seeds for Nepenthes pollen
    By n bicalcarata in forum Carnivorous Plant Trading Post
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 01:43 PM
  4. hairy Nepenthes hamata or Nepenthes edwardsiana?
    By thez_yo in forum Tropical Pitcher Plants  (Nepenthes)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 05:43 PM
  5. Dwarf nepenthes, small nepenthes?
    By dougeetar in forum Tropical Pitcher Plants  (Nepenthes)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 08:06 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •