Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gmo nepenthes

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GMO at its most basic form does represent any form of modification from natural genetics; this does include selective breeding and hybridization. If you want a specific term for genetic engineering, try transgenics which is at the very least one of the proper scientific terms.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guys I talked to at USDA define "GMO" as any organism whose genome has been influenced directly by human activity, so that includes genetically engineered (GE) organisms as well as the products of crossbreeding/hybridization; for that reason, I ignore whatever Wikipedia has to say about the matter. Transgenic organisms are a specific type of GEs that contain DNA from a different species; organisms that have only had DNA removed or have had artificially lab-created DNA added through biotech lab techniques are genetically engineered but not transgenic. So yes, we have all been eating GMO food for our entire lives, regardless if it's GE or otherwise. Personally, I dislike how the term has picked up its negative connotation through radical lobbying groups that don't bother to do their research first.
    Last edited by SerMuncherIV; 03-04-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say I strongly disagree with the term GMO being used to refer to the products of selective breeding. As far as I know, the term did not exist before genetic engineering and every single definition for it I can find online says it only refers to the products of genetic engineering.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    I have to say I strongly disagree with the term GMO being used to refer to the products of selective breeding. As far as I know, the term did not exist before genetic engineering and every single definition for it I can find online says it only refers to the products of genetic engineering.
    It would be wise to investigate into decent scientific research then, because it doesn't matter whether or not you disagree with the usage when the grounded definition contradicts your opinion; the term "genetic modification" has been around a long, LONG time, nearly as long as we've known about DNA and genetic inheritance, and all the details and differences between genetic engineering, hybridization, selective breeding, transgenics, and other related terms have been well described and laid out in literature several times over. Had a very heated debate over this exact topic in my Plant Physiology class last semester (of which the class itself is taught by a doctoral professor who deals on a daily basis in physiology and genetic workings).
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure the term genetic modification has been around but a long time, but we're specifically talking about the term "GMO." I keep searching and searching but still can't find a single reference stating that this term includes selective breeding, including in scientific papers. Isn't the whole point of the term to draw a distinction between natural processes (even man-guided natural processes) and artificial ones?

I'm not trying to say you guys are wrong, but if that's how it is in the scientific community it is not easy to find that information.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The term "GMO" (genetically modified organism) started to be used around the late 20th century, when biotechnology was just starting to grow as a major pioneer industry. For this reason, media outlets misconstrue the term as applying to only GE organisms, even though the USDA (and many biotech textbooks for that matter) indicates that selective breeding and hybridization fall under biotechnology and the term "GMO". In the biotechnological literature that I've read, many of the authors don't seem to make this distinction very clear; they use the popularized term "GMO" to describe specifically GE or even more specifically transgenic organisms (although the practice is not incorrect).

I have however seen sites that use the term GMO (in my opinion) correctly, scarce though they are...
    Last edited by SerMuncherIV; 03-05-2016 at 01:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I was a GMO. Somebody should go in and remove the gene for male-pattern baldness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a site here: Glowing Plant | Seeds where scientists have already created GMO glow in the dark plants. They have info about them on the site. The current plants aren't CP's, but when I emailed them, they said that they wanted to try a venus fly trap in the future, but it was more complicated than what they're doing now.

If anyone is looking into getting these, I'll tell you that as of this post they need a special soil. There was something, I can't remember because it's been a while since I looked into it, but you can't just plop them into a pot of dirt. They did say that they were close to getting them to where you could grow them like any other house plant. I think they have a rose that glows as well. They were on kickstarter. There is another company I think they support or let people know about that make a petunia that changes colors. They hope to GMO modify it to change colors on it's own based on a day night cycle, but currently you pour a beer into the plant basket and it changes colors for a couple of days before changing back.
    Last edited by Dalton; 03-15-2016 at 06:45 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast