Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA3 or Smoke Discs?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I looked I found pretty much zero information about germinating seeds of the perennial species. There were a lot of people trying various concentrations of GA3 for B. liniflora, B. guehoi, and various hybrids though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I tried GA3 with B. guerhoi last year, but it didn't work for me. But I think I probably should have done 8 wks or so of warm stratification before GA3. I'm still reading up on KAR1, but it seems there is interaction between ABA, GA and KAR1. Sensitivity to KAR1 seems to be fairly wide spread among plants, even in plants outside of areas with regular fire, and it could be an ancestral trait (we still don't know). In some cases, KAR1 is speculated to trigger an upstream process of GA production (which compete against ABA, the hormone which makes seeds stay dormant). So it is kind of surprising that GA3 didn't have much effects in the study.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, I've never had problems dissolving ~100% GA3 in distilled water. Just agitate until dissolved. But then I never mix more than 0.5cc of solution at a time.

I've gotten good results following Allen Lowrie's recommendations for germinating Byblis guehoi - 80% or better germination beginning 3-4 days after a 24 hour treatment and sowing. Some species Lowrie recommends a 48-72 hour treatment.

Protocols discussed here:
    Heeeeelp...... I just received GA3 for Byblis hybrid seeds....
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link. I will try again. At the very end of thread, you mentioned testing if GA is really needed. Did you try that?

Cross et al. used 2.89mM of GA3 (which is 1000ppm), and saw not much effect. When they were germinating in dark (instead of 12/12 day night), then GA3 did increase the germination rate from 0 to 10% or so (which is the level of germination with 12/12h without GA3).

I think GA3 solubility is 5000ppm according to wikipedia. When my students do lab projects of seed germination (of Alaskan plants, not CP), we also dilute it without alcohol up to 2000ppm. And it hasn't been a problem.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an optimal concentration that is species specific also. Too high of a concentration can have an inhibiting effect on germination.

I did not try further tests. I either ran out of seed or just got lazy

If you haven't read them Norman C. Deno's papers on seed germination are worth reading.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12