Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip out to Salton Sea and Mud Pots

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trip out to Salton Sea and Mud Pots

I was just out in Florida for a scuba diving trip, but since it's not CP time of the year on the East Coast yet, I still had some wandering through the field left in me that I didn't get a chance to get out there. Luckily, a buddy and I here in San Diego decided to get out of town and head out to Salton Sea yesterday, to get out of the rain in San Diego. Maybe we should have known something was up when we reached the edge of the mountains separating SD County with the desert and the wind was so strong it nearly knocked us off of our feet:

There was a shop here on the mountain, with the strange sorts of odds and ends you'd expect to find on a remote mountain on the edge of a desert..

The owner chats with everyone who walks through the doors, and mentioning that we were headed out to Salton Sea, he listed off a couple of things to check out in the area including a location called Mud Pots that has some geothermal mud upwellings. Since geothermal anything is really freaking awesome, so we added that to the itinerary.

Here's where that wind comes into the story. Once we get over the mountains, we're driving along and see a big sand storm or something going on in the distance. Little do we know that it's actually at the Salton Sea so driving in turns into some sort of post-apocalyptic industrial wasteland scene where I wouldn't be surprised to find zombies and people wearing serious-business gas-masks:

And then by accident, because another car had pulled over (it's not very apparent what it is), we found Mud Pots!

by another factory, of course.

Last edited by thez_yo; 03-07-2016 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a salt-crust on everything out here, I'm assuming because the Salton Sea is salty and it permeates everywhere.

Mud from the pots and the white is a salt crust

Crystalline salt

Fresh Mud

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we finished our tour around the bubbly mud and hit the car again to drive up to the Sea. From all the agriculture in the area (Saw lots of cows, field of cabbage and probably corn) there are a bunch of water channels lining all of the roads and some marshes along the way too:

I spent the rest of the time near the water realizing that I scare the ducks like it's my job. Poor duckies.

More ducks I scared

This is why they're so skittish

This used to be some sort of bird hunting club building back in the day

So we finally get to an edge of the Sea, because going in through the Sonny Bono park was impossible (sandstorm), and I scare more ducks:

Here's who hangs out in the mud:

some naughty little hands (racoon or similar)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some bugs that got friendly with me and the bushes they were living on in bloom

And the Sea and birds of Course:

..more duckies fleeing

(it was windy here too)

So, enough of birds we decided it was time to head out, and took a turn that ended up pointing to an old docking point for Caravans. Ermagerd I have never seen such a post-apocalyptic dystopian Mars-like scene ever before in my life:

Enough scary for one day, so we decided to head back for real.

(still frightening)

We chose to go through Anza Borrego desert park to look if there were blooms out yet, because I keep hearing reports that Death Valley is in full bloom right now..

Little did we know that Anza Borrego actually appeared to be the worst of the sand storm!

We ended up driving home in the dark because it takes a little bit more than a couple hours to get out there, and got a small sliver of a break in the clouds to see some stars (if your monitor's colours are right, you can see the pine trees):

It was a pretty great day trip!
    Last edited by thez_yo; 03-07-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a unique landscape with the mud volcanoes, salty sea, factories and desert. If a movie has not been filmed out there, it needs to happen!
    One would think the place was barren, but it's nice to see some of the life that exists out there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a really neat place!! Thanks for sharing! Totally get the apocalyptic vibe.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Cool stuff. The mudpots are very Yellowstone-like and the landscape looks like it would host a convoy of Road Warrior vehicles. There is something awe-inspiring about the open desert.

My grandparents used to talk about how they went on a tour bus to the Salton Sea to be sold on real estate out there, back when there was a bit of a boom. I don't think they would've done well if they had bought.
    - Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast