What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bog garden box.

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
I've been thinking about creating a bog garden, but I don't really want to dig a gigantic ditch in my backyard. I was thinking about building a garden box instead. Would this work with most Sarracenia and vft's. I'm in central Ohio. Thanks.

CP's will grow in just about any container. What kind of garden box are we talking about?

I was basically thinking of a rectangular, wooden box, filled with cp soil. My dad built one last summer for growing vegetables and it turned out pretty good.

Last edited:
You'll probably want to line any wooden container you use with plastic (with a drain of course.) You can use a normal peat-based soil mix and they'll grow just fine.

Ok, thanks. Would I just want one drain in the center of the plastic or multiple ones? Also, do you think I could grow cobra lilys in my climate? I'm in love with these plants, but I don't know if they could live in central Ohio. Thanks.

Hey I made a smaller box garden recently and it seems to be doing great. I bought a black plastic shell for a small waterfall/pond at lowes or Home Depot. I dug the shape out of my yard but dug an extra ten inches deep and poured rock in that space. I then dropped the shell in the hole and filled it with cp soil. The holes I added in the bottom of the she'll let my excess water drain into the rock and eventually absorbed in the ground. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's been doing really well for me for a few seasons now. Hope it helps some. You can do it, and it's really awesome you even want to do it! You might have to tweek it a little here and there to get it right but you got it. If I can help at all info wise don't hesitate to ask. Thanks

What kind of soil did you use? I've heard that a 50:50 mix and sand and peat is good. I was thinking of growing some Sarracenia and vft's if that helps. I was also thinking of possibly doing cobra lilys.

Another question, how do you water the bog garden? Do you have an ro system? Do you collect rainwater? Thanks.

I can't promise anything, but Darlingtonia should do fine in the same conditions as Sarracenia, at least the coastal varieties. Make sure you keep the pots isolated from regular soil, since they are prone to certain infections that can be spread from there. I have a small plant that's been sitting in a water tray next to my Sarracenia and was frozen solid in high wind for several days over the winter. It's flowering now.

I can't promise anything, but Darlingtonia should do fine in the same conditions as Sarracenia, at least the coastal varieties. Make sure you keep the pots isolated from regular soil, since they are prone to certain infections that can be spread from there. I have a small plant that's been sitting in a water tray next to my Sarracenia and was frozen solid in high wind for several days over the winter. It's flowering now.
I think I'll try them. When is it the best time to re-pot Sarracenia and darlingtonia? How difficult is it to sprout darlingtonia from seed. I wouldn't mind trying it out. Thanks.

It's best to repot while the plants are dormant, or just starting to emerge from dormancy. Now should be a great time to do it.

I don't think growing Darlingtonia from seed is particularly difficult, but they grow slower than Sarracenia from what I understand. They also do not require cold stratification like Sarracenia do, but it can help germination rates for old seed.

Thanks, I think I'll order some seed when the bog garden box is set up.

Darlingtonia tend to like a lot more aeration in the soil than Sarracenia need, and the coastals are pickier than the mountain forms, liking very cool temperatures constantly; the mountains can take greater temp swings even in the soil.

Another question, what's the best method of keeping a bog garden watered? I was thinking of a small pond that would act as a water reservoir and that I would refill it when it was low. What do you think? Thanks.

Darlingtonia tend to like a lot more aeration in the soil than Sarracenia need, and the coastals are pickier than the mountain forms, liking very cool temperatures constantly; the mountains can take greater temp swings even in the soil.
I missed that while I was asking about watering. Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll do some cobra lilys in a pot instead.

Back