User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 9 to 13 of 13

Thread: LED for 11 hours a day OR 4 hours of direct sunlight a day?

  1. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, I was under the impression that the sun moves slightly in a different path that gives off more light in a day. At least thats what someone working at a nursery told me

    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    I'm a bit lost here, why would daylight savings affect how much natural light your plants receive? Daylight savings doesn't move the sun, it's just one number changing on the clock.

    Also just to clarify, this panel only consumes ~135W. They are advertising the combined maximum power of 100 x 3W LEDs but are correctly not driving them any higher than 50% load for optimal longevity and reliability - which honestly a first for me with LED lights from Chinese companies.

  2. #10
    nimbulan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,355
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The goal of daylight savings is to shift our clocks so the times when people are most active - essentially during business hours - it is daylight. It's supposed to reduce energy usage due to not needing as much artificial light, but the last study I read indicated that it actually increases energy usage. The sun's going to keep going up and down the same way no matter what we do with our clocks though.

    Anyway, the days are getting longer and the sun is getting higher in the sky so you will be seeing more sunlight on your patio, but it's not related to daylight savings time in any way.

  3. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for clarifying that for me. With that being said, what would you do in my situation?


    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    The goal of daylight savings is to shift our clocks so the times when people are most active - essentially during business hours - it is daylight. It's supposed to reduce energy usage due to not needing as much artificial light, but the last study I read indicated that it actually increases energy usage. The sun's going to keep going up and down the same way no matter what we do with our clocks though.

    Anyway, the days are getting longer and the sun is getting higher in the sky so you will be seeing more sunlight on your patio, but it's not related to daylight savings time in any way.

  4. #12
    nimbulan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,355
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spintix357 View Post
    Thank you for clarifying that for me. With that being said, what would you do in my situation?
    Honestly, I'm not sure. I have access to very good natural light and mild winters so my temperate plants stay outdoors year-round and are very healthy. I have no experience growing plants in areas with low amounts of direct sunlight so I can't say whether they would be better off outdoors or under your LED panel. They certainly don't need that much light during dormancy, but I don't know how they'd fare during the growing season outdoors with 4 hours of sun per day.

  5. #13
    fredg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mansfield UK
    Posts
    1,042
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spintix357 View Post
    Oops, I was under the impression that the sun moves slightly in a different path that gives off more light in a day. At least thats what someone working at a nursery told me
    The sun doesn't shift it's the earth's tilt that moves your location into a more favourable position as we orbit i.e. the northern hemisphere is tilted towards the sun in summer, away in winter.
    having said that.

    Do you have this grow tent closed? That could be your problem with Botrytis. Adding a fan in a closed environment will only spread the spores.

    If you have dormant plants and non-dormant they should be split. Only use power where it is necessary, smaller area less light needed. It will reduce your power bills. (and better environmentally).
    Fred

    Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

    http://fredg.boards.net/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Can Mirabilis take direct sunlight?
    By kentosaurs in forum Tropical Pitcher Plants  (Nepenthes)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 09:02 AM
  2. Direct sunlight vs flourescents
    By firewired in forum Venus Flytrap (Dionaea ) Care Information & Tips
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-03-2005, 12:00 PM
  3. Direct sunlight
    By firewired in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 04:58 PM
  4. Direct sunlight ok?
    By dewy in forum Tropical Pitcher Plants  (Nepenthes)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 05:12 PM
  5. 5 1/2 hours sunlight vs 12 hours artificial
    By SativaKing in forum Venus Flytrap (Dionaea ) Care Information & Tips
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2002, 06:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •