User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED for 11 hours a day OR 4 hours of direct sunlight a day?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LED for 11 hours a day OR 4 hours of direct sunlight a day?

I have a wide variety of VFTs, sarrs, sundews, and a few mexican pings all growing in a mini greenhouse on my patio. Now that daylight savings has occurred I have two options. Keep my plants in direct sunlight for only 4 hours a day or keep them under the same setup I have now: hidden in a corner not visible from the street under an LED light for 11 hours a day. This is the LED light I have been using:

Amazon.com : Galaxyhydro LED Grow Plant Light 300w Greenhouse Indoor Hydroponic Grow Lighting 9 Band : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I can only choose one or the other because having a bright LED light shinning on my patio in a first story apartment for all too see will draw attention and possibly people looking to steal the light or they may just get the wrong idea of what I am growing. Please let me know what I should do. Thank you for your time.

My patio seems to be getting direct light now from 3pm to 7pm
    Last edited by Spintix357; 03-14-2016 at 11:16 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how well are they doing under the panel? If you no longer wish to use it, you should be able to get away with four hours of light a day. You may also consider getting a grow tent, then you can blast the plants with as much artificial light as you need, and no one would ever know
    Last edited by Hamata-Honzo; 03-15-2016 at 07:22 AM.
    "Be quiet! The plants will hear y... noooooo!" 'chomp - burp!'

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spintix357 View Post
    I have a wide variety of VFTs, sarrs, sundews, and a few mexican pings all growing in a mini greenhouse on my patio. Now that daylight savings has occurred I have two options. Keep my plants in direct sunlight for only 4 hours a day or keep them under the same setup I have now: hidden in a corner not visible from the street under an LED light for 11 hours a day. This is the LED light I have been using:
    I'm curious, did you get more light before they saved some? "Due to the need to reduce the budget everyone will receive 20% less sunlight"

I'm sure many people would appreciate 4 hours of direct sunlight a day. During winter, many of my plants don't get any as the sun is too low.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Direct light only shined on my patio for about an hour a day over winter but I remember that in the summer it would shine on my patio for about 4 hours. Since daylight savings time occurred I was guessing that light would return to shinning on my patio for 4 hours a day again but I still need to confirm this. I moved to my current apartment at the end of last summer so I am not sure how my plants will do with just 4 hours of sunlight a day. They have been under the LED lighting all winter on my patio and are now coming out of dormancy but it is hard to tell if they are thriving under the LED. All of the plants are about 2.5ft below the light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plants get about 7 hours a day of direct sunlight in the Summer and some of them struggle a bit. The Drosera are all fine, the VFTs do Okay, and the pings prefer less but the Sarrs would definitely like some more.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does seem a waste of power to have a 300w of LEDs above dormant plants for 11 hours a day. Many people put dormant plants in an unlit garage / hut or even a fridge.
    It helps to know where people are when discussing growing outside. What is your location?
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Fred,

I was originally using the light to give the plants 8 hours of light during the winter because some of my plants don't require a dormancy. I just recently switched it to 11 hours a day to accommodate for the time change. I am located in Southern California about an hour north of Los Angeles in city named Santa Clarita. The plants seem to be doing ok coming out of dormancy but I am having a huge problem with botrytis right now. It mainly attacks my venus flytraps. I seem to have to use Physan 20 almost everyday when I go out to check on them. Even when I have increased circulation with a fan I still have the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    It does seem a waste of power to have a 300w of LEDs above dormant plants for 11 hours a day. Many people put dormant plants in an unlit garage / hut or even a fridge.
    It helps to know where people are when discussing growing outside. What is your location?
    Last edited by Spintix357; 03-19-2016 at 08:29 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit lost here, why would daylight savings affect how much natural light your plants receive? Daylight savings doesn't move the sun, it's just one number changing on the clock.

Also just to clarify, this panel only consumes ~135W. They are advertising the combined maximum power of 100 x 3W LEDs but are correctly not driving them any higher than 50% load for optimal longevity and reliability - which honestly a first for me with LED lights from Chinese companies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast