What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mounting nepenthes

Hey everyone that reads this. Ok so I know that there are some species of nepenthes, like veitchii, that are epiphytes and grow mounted their entire lives. That being said I think I've seen only one or two in cultivation that grow mounted. I'm curious of why that is. Is it hard? Is it a humidity problem? I've grown orchids for a while now and have mounted a good amount of them. The problem people run into is keeping the plants moist enough but I have a greenhouse in Florida that stays with at least 80% humidity during the day and is usually 100 at night so that's not a problem. I'm just curious if any of you guys know about mounting neps at all. You guys never cease to amaze me with how much you know! Thanks in advance, even if you can't help thanks for reading the post. You guys are awesome!!!

I can give you some theoretical advice, but I've never even mounted an orchid. You may want to try mounting a cutting as opposed to a plant that's been growing in a pot. Let the cutting grow a few roots and then mount it. You might want to look up the type of trees that grow in that nepenthes native range, you never know, it could help.

Keep us updated on how this go's. It could be quite awesome.

The tropical exhibit at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco has mounted Nepenthes on display. They seem to have been wired into a vertical metal grid work, in wads of long fiber sphagnum. I only saw them once or twice, but they seemed to have been growing well . . .

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the responses. The pics of those mounted neps are exactly what I was talking about. I actually use the same metal grids filled with spagnum for a lot of my bulbophyllum mounts. Well I think I am gonna try it this week. I have a few species that seem to grow as epiphytes that might work. I will definetly post some photos after I start it. The roots on most orchids are thick and will actually adhere to whatever surface they grow on for support. Nepenthes on the other hand have such small, thin and brittle roots(with a few exceptions) that I don't understand how they actually cling to whatever they're on. I've seen photos of n.veitchii that looked like the leaves were actually holding up the plant. I guess I'm just gonna go for it. If it works hell yeah, if not it was worth a shot. Thanks again for the responses! Stay awesome

I thought that orchids only grew thick roots when they're grown in pots? I had a mounted orchid (cybidium) once and it had thin roots.

It really depends on the species. I have some encyclias that have pretty thin roots but I have a few vandas that grow roots almost an inch thick.

Back