User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  8
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED or T5 fluorescents strong enough for tall Sarracenia species?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's better for them to touch the lights than them not receive enough light. The light you currently have seems fine, I would get another, or something that is large enough to cover as much surface area you can. Setting up a reflective or white surface in the sides of the tent will also help reduce the amount of light that is wasted from being further away from your plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benurmanii View Post
    It's better for them to touch the lights than them not receive enough light. The light you currently have seems fine, I would get another, or something that is large enough to cover as much surface area you can. Setting up a reflective or white surface in the sides of the tent will also help reduce the amount of light that is wasted from being further away from your plants.

Ok thank you. I will get some reflective material from home depot and line the sides of the mini greenhouse. I forgot to add that I did just recently bring the plants closer to the light about 1 week ago. I brought them up 1 shelf (about a foot). Since then I have seen a huge difference in growth in only a week but all the plants look very green still. Maybe newer foliage will come out darker in the next few week, at least I'm hoping. If not I could get another of the same light to fit up there or I could get t5 reflective light fixture.
    Last edited by Spintix357; 03-27-2016 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm amazed at how green those plants are with such a powerful growlight. It should be able to cover an area larger than that while keeping the plants in good health. Moving the light closer or adding reflective material to the sides of the enclosure would go a long way towards improving the situation. I don't know why I didn't think to ask this before, but what photoperiod are you using?

I'm curious though, why are you growing the plants in the enclosure?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    I'm amazed at how green those plants are with such a powerful growlight. It should be able to cover an area larger than that while keeping the plants in good health. Moving the light closer or adding reflective material to the sides of the enclosure would go a long way towards improving the situation. I don't know why I didn't think to ask this before, but what photoperiod are you using?

I'm curious though, why are you growing the plants in the enclosure?
    My balcony of my apartment only gets about 3.5 hours of filtered sun through a tree daily. From 3-7pm. So I thought I should do artificial light instead and I can't do both because it'll look like I'm growing pot on my porch. I don't think I can set a photoperiod on this light. It only has a single on switch. The plants have been moved a foot closer only a week ago so that may make a big improvement hopefully. I have it running for 11 hours a day. I hope that's enough.
    Last edited by Spintix357; 03-27-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're turning the light on and off manually? How long is it on every day?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're turning the light on and off manually? How long is it on every day?
    Haha I was just about to edit my last reply to put that info in. I have them on for 12 hours. 7am-7pm. Is that enough? It's on a timer
    Last edited by Spintix357; 03-27-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm amazed at how green those plants are with such a powerful growlight.
    I'm not familiar with the power of LEDs, but I was thinking that perhaps too much light is lost without reflective surfaces (don't people usually use LEDs in grow-tents?) Of course, it could be the photoperiod, as you mentioned, but seems odd that those plants aren't getting much coloration if the light is so powerful. I get great coloration on my pygmies under my T5 fixture with a 9 hour photoperiod (though I keep the fixture pretty close to my plants).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11 or 12 hours should be plenty of light for this time of year.

From the reading I've done, that fixture operates at around 135W (they advertise it as 300W but that's the maximum power of all the LEDs, not the actual operating power.) Being that LEDs are more efficient than T5's and it is a red/blue fixture which will have a better PAR rating than white, I would estimate that it's at least equivalent to a 2' x 8 tube T5 fixture, if not more. The official manufacturer recommendation is to hang the light between 19" and 59" above the plants and that it should cover an area up to 10 square feet.

Now I did also find information indicating that this fixture has a built-in dimmer. Are you using it?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast