User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  8
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED or T5 fluorescents strong enough for tall Sarracenia species?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    11 or 12 hours should be plenty of light for this time of year.

From the reading I've done, that fixture operates at around 135W (they advertise it as 300W but that's the maximum power of all the LEDs, not the actual operating power.) Being that LEDs are more efficient than T5's and it is a red/blue fixture which will have a better PAR rating than white, I would estimate that it's at least equivalent to a 2' x 8 tube T5 fixture, if not more. The official manufacturer recommendation is to hang the light between 19" and 59" above the plants and that it should cover an area up to 10 square feet.

Now I did also find information indicating that this fixture has a built-in dimmer. Are you using it?
    That's interesting. I am not sure how to even activate/deactivate the built-in dimer. There are no switches. Once the fixture is plugged in it turns on

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the marshydro version of that LED and it colored up all my plants withing a few days. As mentioned above, I am surprised that your plants are exhibiting symptoms of light deprivation. You mentioned that you recently moved the plants closer to the lights so I would install some reflective material and see what happens. If they continue to look green I would just move your plants in the sunlight. I grow a few sarrs on my windowsill that get between 3-6 hours of direct sun and 8 of indirect and they do fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagalotus View Post
    I've used the marshydro version of that LED and it colored up all my plants withing a few days. As mentioned above, I am surprised that your plants are exhibiting symptoms of light deprivation. You mentioned that you recently moved the plants closer to the lights so I would install some reflective material and see what happens. If they continue to look green I would just move your plants in the sunlight. I grow a few sarrs on my windowsill that get between 3-6 hours of direct sun and 8 of indirect and they do fine.
    THat's good to hear. What is a good reflective material that I could get from a hardware store for this mini greenhouse?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use aluminum foil because I'm cheap lol, so I have no experience with other materials. I am sure other people will have good suggestions

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know people use mylar, and there is also (very expensive) purpose-made reflective material for growlights.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used mylar for my terrarium way back when. Nice clean look to the tank overall.
    "Be quiet! The plants will hear y... noooooo!" 'chomp - burp!'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I ordered some Mylar today with mylar tape from amazon. I'll take the cover off of the mini greenhouse and completely fill the inside of it with a layer of mylar. I hope it works

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagalotus View Post
    How far away from the light were your plants?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast