User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  8
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED or T5 fluorescents strong enough for tall Sarracenia species?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LED or T5 fluorescents strong enough for tall Sarracenia species?

I have various species of Sarracenia, vfts, dews, and pings growing under the same LED light. I am worried that the LED light does not have enough blue and white for vegetative growth. The plants are in a mini greenhouse outside with the plants and the lamp is about 25 inches above the top of the pots. The light I have is the one in the link below. The sarracenia are growing very tall but are tin and topple over. Should I replace this light or should I add in another LED light with more blues/whites or possibly add in a small T5 fixture. Please let me know. thank you

Amazon.com : Galaxyhydro LED Grow Plant Light 300w Greenhouse Indoor Hydroponic Grow Lighting 9 Band : Patio, Lawn & Garden

This is an old picture from when all the plants were in dormancy.
    Last edited by Spintix357; 03-25-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That light seems like it should be more than enough. If it seems like there is a lot of wasted light, you can add some reflective material to the sides of the greenhouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    That light seems like it should be more than enough. If it seems like there is a lot of wasted light, you can add some reflective material to the sides of the greenhouse.
    Thank you for the response. I was worried that the light has too much reds and not enough blues for vegetative growth. For some reason my sarracenia flava and okee giant are both growing pitchers about a foot tall that are thin, weak, and falling over. I thought this may be due to inadequate lighting

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does sound like it is due to inadequate lighting. Can we see a picture of the setup with plants currently?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benurmanii View Post
    That does sound like it is due to inadequate lighting. Can we see a picture of the setup with plants currently?
    Sorry about the images being a little blurry. Most of the plants are just coming out of dormancy. Some are growing faster than others. The flava and okee in the back center are the ones falling over. I usually keep the enclosed half closed with a small fan going up inside the portion where the light is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I propped them up in the back. Hopefully the new ones that come up are more sturdy and full.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those definitely look like they need quite a bit more light. You could compensate by moving the light closer to the plants, but I would look into getting another light fixture and setting up some reflective surfaces in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benurmanii View Post
    Those definitely look like they need quite a bit more light. You could compensate by moving the light closer to the plants, but I would look into getting another light fixture and setting up some reflective surfaces in there.

What light fixture would you recommend? I don't think I could bring the light closer because the sarracenia will eventually touch the tops of the light where it is now if they reach their full potential

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast