What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Hike: The trail to Mt. San Miguel

thez_yo

instigator
My hiking buddy and I went out for another hike - this time just east of San Diego proper. We weren't really sure where we were going or how to get there, but you know, drive away from the Ocean and don't hit MX and call it good :jester:

We got to the end of the road right next to a small... village? It sounded full of roosters, and is right next to a land preserve. All along the road on the way there things were blooming because it's been raining so much these past six months, so we had a nice wander through the hills enjoying the blooms.

IMG_1246_zpsvrumuzth.jpg

IMG_1247_zpswsv1eqiu.jpg

IMG_1248_zps7rlghez5.jpg

IMG_1251_zpsrwjnhlzd.jpg

The view of the mountains was really great the whole day so I kept getting snaps with the hills too.
IMG_1254_zpsqjtrfvca.jpg

Of course, it's SoCal, so scary pointy spiders too.
IMG_1261_zpsrzrfqfui.jpg

IMG_1267_zpsr1dj8w1f.jpg

IMG_1269_zpshr1iigbf.jpg

I wonder what's over that hill?
IMG_1270_zps40ncy4yu.jpg

More flowers!
IMG_1272_zpss2v7mb7z.jpg

IMG_1276_zpskxtscwzq.jpg

..up close:
IMG_1277_zpsg0t86ljc.jpg

(it's not up to my usual macro-standards, but I just brought the iPhone so... it's pretty good for that)

IMG_1287_zpshuxdkdx3.jpg

In red...
IMG_1291_zpscy0zihal.jpg

...and orange.
IMG_1294_zpsmayjg3a9.jpg

Look at that nice view!
IMG_1298_zpsezjq9yrh.jpg

Now, this is a flower in the Oxalis family that looks like it's endemic to SoCal it's so ubiquitous here--
IMG_1306_zpsgpfetkpb.jpg

IMG_1311_zpsphcx7akj.jpg

After a little bit of research a few years ago I think I found out they were from South Africa, but I'm not quickly finding it just now. Maybe I'll research again.. In the meantime this is a good starting point if you want to read about Oxalis: Pacific Bulb Society | Oxalis That makes sense though, because depending where in S.Africa you are the climate could be pretty identical.

Back to the rest of the flowers..
IMG_1312_zpscwewcujq.jpg

Violas of some kind?!
IMG_1319_zpsmldfjaoq.jpg

So nice!
IMG_1327_zpsugqq2jqt.jpg

...and a bit higher:
IMG_1333_zpsxg3kmpnn.jpg

Those flower stalks:
IMG_1321_zps1efrz6dp.jpg

are tall!
IMG_1323_zps3ezwu73e.jpg

IMG_1336_zpsddj6bv1o.jpg

IMG_1339_zpsvzrnbaxx.jpg

IMG_1346_zpshhcxufp3.jpg

Some of them aren't so full
IMG_1348_zpss0h7yug8.jpg

(not sure what happened... finished blooming? Got eaten? Who knows.)

IMG_1349_zpslxfij9j7.jpg

I think this one was the best view:
IMG_1356_zpsdkhfku2x.jpg

More of those strange curly little low-lying rosettes. They were all over the path.
IMG_1361_zpsk66b0o5g.jpg

Going there (the path actually ended at the paved road winding up the mountain):
IMG_1359_zps9r5q2xro.jpg

Heading back (this is the 2hr long walk back):
IMG_1366_zps5bs4eicu.jpg

And a cute little lizard before we left. There were some hares hopping around with their big 'ol ears too, but they were a bit too quick for me to snap.
IMG_1372_zpsbboysab5.jpg

Beautiful! You're getting me excited for my Denver trip in June, I am going to do a lot of hiking!

Beautiful pics Zu ! That area truly is amazing when it actually rains. I've never seen so many blooms like that.

That's quite a few flowers.

Enjoyable! Thanks for taking the time to post these.

ohhhhhhh ahhhhhh :)

awesome hike!
So different compared to the eastern woodlands I'm used too

Oh how wonderful! I really miss SoCal sometimes. I always liked those curly que plants you saw on the trails, They have those in Dana Point where I used to live. Those huge flower spikes really made me hungry for asparagus.

So, Zuzana, that's where you grow your toughened Nepenthes . . .

Back