Hey, everyone. I have questions about the Maxsea fertilizer. I had heard about it on this site. I know I hadn't see it at my local stores, so I went to my trusty amazon.com account and found a 1.5lb container of the 16-16-16 for $19.98 and free shipping. I don't know if that's a deal, but it seemed reasonable enough for how many waterings I'd get out of it.
I found some Q&A's on this site, but nothing that answered all my questions, so I thought I'd ask. I'd like to know how well it would work if I made it my go to fertilizer. I actually bought it for my carnivorous plants. I have VFT's, Sarrs, and thanks to an awesome user on this site as well as an online retailer, I have my first three nepenthes. Having consulted my copy of "The Savage Garden", it looks like he recommends 1/2tsp to 1gal of water for CP's. I just have a few additional questions.
- Is the 1/2tsp to 1gal a good ratio for all my CP's?
- What's the best way to apply? Water it in or spray the leaves with it?
- If I make a spray bottle of it, does it keep well at room temp when mixed with water?
- Does it gum-up spray bottles?
- Would it be a good fertilizer to use on my orchids? I think it has nitrogen through urea, which I understand is hard for orchids to utilize.
- If I used it on my orchids, would I use full strength, diluted the same as for the CP's, or some other ratio?
- Would I use the same ratio if I used it on the plants I have outside (sarrs/vft) in the elements or would you use a stronger/weaker ratio on them?
- I've heard some people flush their pots afterwards and some don't. Would you flush the fertilizer?
- How often would you say it's safe to fertilize? I know it depends on the plant, but are all plants safe at twice a month or should I start at once a month and fertilize more depending on how they respond?
Thanks for the help everyone. I think this is going to be a good product, even though some people have had issues (mainly algae) with it. I have searched and read posts on it, on this site, but I couldn't find all the comprehensive info I needed. I figured I could ask them all here and it would not only answer my questions and concerns, but be a good reference thread.