What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D printer users

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
I don't have a 3D printer and I am hoping to find someone that does. And furthermore hoping some one will be willing to make a few orchid pots for me. I am looking for small pots in the 2x2x2 inch range. Willing to trade plants in exchange. I figured it worth a shot.

I have a 3D printer that has a base of 7in x 7in. If you could send me the .stl file of the pot, I'm sure we could work out something. (I can only print in PLA, though)

Hey man, I have some 2 1/4" pots you can have... if you're fine with used. If you only want new, I'd have to take a look and see if I have any hiding, I'm not really using them anymore so I've not bought any new ones for a while. How many are you looking for?
Andrew

I have a 3D printer that has a base of 7in x 7in. If you could send me the .stl file of the pot, I'm sure we could work out something. (I can only print in PLA, though)

Had to educate myself because at first I had no idea what you were talking about...at all! Lol
A file like this?
Orchid vase by PRATRIK - Thingiverse

Hey man, I have some 2 1/4" pots you can have... if you're fine with used. If you only want new, I'd have to take a look and see if I have any hiding, I'm not really using them anymore so I've not bought any new ones for a while. How many are you looking for?
Andrew
Thanks for the offer Andrew! Very generous. I have some normal pots, but I was looking for some more decorative

Last edited:
Ahhh OK, I thought you were just having no luck finding small square pots. :p I'm excited to see what you guys come up with!

PLA is water soluble, isn't it?

Edit: Nevermind it is not

Last edited:
I never thought to use a 3D printer to make plant pots. I somehow suspect that this could be the start of a new trend among wealthy plant cultivaters.

Last edited:
3D printing is still pretty expensive to use for plant pots, though I can see its usefulness for making more decorative ones. I have thought about using one to make custom water trays though, since it can be difficult to find trays that fit all my pots well and don't waste space.

True, 3D printers are not cheap, but perhaps in the future, when they become more cheaply available. It could become more economical for nurseries than it would be to order pots, one never does know what the future holds.

Try checking out libraries. Sounds weird, but there are several public libraries I know of where they have a 3-d printer you can submit your design files to and then pay for the amount of material you used making it.

Check local papers or the library for listings or announcements of 3D Printing Clubs in your area. Most of these will offer a printing service.

Just a heads up, PLA plastic does degrade over time when exposed to natural elements (it's biodegradable). You can ask your 3d printer user to print with Nylon or ABS to have something that lasts longer, although I'm not sure if ABS filament will leach chemicals into the soil.

Also, check out 3D printing services in your neighborhood | makexyz.com . It lists the 3d printing enthusiasts in your area who are willing to print parts for you. The standard price is 25 cents per cubic centimeter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info gents. I plan on using it indoors under grow lights. Not outside in the elements.

I wish I was handy with ceramics. May be a better option...

Back