Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand of sphagnum peat moss

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's an idea! How 'bout if we have reviews of pre-made cp soil too? Referring to gill za's last post.
    Last edited by curtisconners; 04-22-2016 at 10:21 AM.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisconners View Post
    There's an idea! How 'bout if we have reviews of pre-made cp soil too? Referring to gill za's last post.
    I have learned the hard way to never buy premade stuff. Here are my issues with premade cp mixes.

First: you never know if they washed the components or not.
    Second: you never know what actual % of sand/perline/whatever is there.
    And third: the sand used might be so fine it will turn your pot into a non-draining mush. Even respectable growers that sell plants online are guilty in not doing it.
    Fourth: OVERPRICED!

Please please please save yourself a world of trouble and make CP mixes yourself. I doubt any of us want to risk planting precious plants into media that is made of who knows what...

Unless the seller specifically says she/he washed the components and used "whatever" grade of sand, peat you are buying a cat in a bag

Quote Originally Posted by Sashoke View Post
    This is the only peatmoss Ive ever bought/used:

Spagmoss New Zealand Grade AAA Moss 500 Gram Brick 40 Liters Orchid Sphagnum | eBay

Its very high quality, airy fluffy stuff. I bought a 10$ bale and its lasted me a very long time.
    This is actually not peat The item in your link is dried sphagnum moss.
    Last edited by gill_za; 04-22-2016 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Removed not needed explanation :)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woops, seems I misread and then mistyped myself, sometimes you wake up on the wrong side of the bed

Carry on like I was never here haha.
    ~Burgeoning connoisseur of all things ventricosa or otherwise tubby.~

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But thank you for the link! I actually have to buy some LFS because the stuff I get from Lowes (yup, my go to store) that is called "Better Gro Orchid Moss" is good, but falls short when compared to other New Zealand sphag brands.
    Last edited by gill_za; 04-22-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this and like it very much. I dont use peat often as I plant most stuff in pure LFS but it is good quality. It created nice small strands as well

Amazon.com : Espoma PTM8 8-Quart Organic Peat Moss : Fertilizers : Patio, Lawn & Garden
    Last edited by AnIsleAteHer; 04-22-2016 at 11:29 AM. Reason: forgot link

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    But thank you for the link! I actually have to buy some LFS because the stuff I get from Lowes (yup, my go to store) that is called "Better Gro Orchid Moss" is good, but falls short when compared to other New Zealand sphag brands.
    Have you ever grown live sphag from that moss (if it's even possible [ie. not sterilized via heat or other means])? If so, got any pics of it?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
    Have you ever grown live sphag from that moss (if it's even possible [ie. not sterilized via heat or other means])? If so, got any pics of it?
    I never tried to to be honest. However, i recently ordered some plants from an online nursery and the package came stuffed with dry NZ sphagnum. Owner buys it somewhere and uses it instead of packing chips. He also sells it separately too. It looked similar to Better Gro stuff until it was re-hydrated. I know its all dead but when wet the heads of some strands were actually pale green. That sphagnum is fluffy and nice and does not seem to be heat treated. It also has very little debris in it and plenty of intact strands (better gro seems as if went trough a meat grinder). I think it might sprout

So what brand of peat moss do you prefer?

P.S.
    PM me if you need the name.
    Last edited by gill_za; 04-22-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    I never tried to to be honest. However, i recently ordered some plants from an online nursery and the package came stuffed with dry NZ sphagnum. Owner buys it somewhere and uses it instead of packing chips. He also sells it separately too. It looked similar to Better Gro stuff until it was re-hydrated. I know its all dead but when wet the heads of some strands were actually pale green. That sphagnum is fluffy and nice and does not seem to be heat treated. It also has very little debris in it and plenty of intact strands (better gro seems as if went trough a meat grinder). I think it might sprout

So what brand of peat moss do you prefer?

P.S.
    PM me if you need the name.
    Ah, good luck with it! Hopefully you get some new growth soon.

I'm still rehabbing my sphagnum culture, since I had it too wet and it got thick algae in places, and I had to toss most of it. It's getting a lot of new growth now, but im still picking at algae here and there and spot treating with diluted peroxide. I just need the top layer to be all living moss heads, like in my ceph pot, so that no algae forms. It only really forms in the pockets with no moss growth.

The peat moss I use is Canadian Gold. It works very well for me, but if I don't microwave it, I get algae. I prefer to microwave my media, anyway (2x[60-90sec]). *puts on helmet for incoming projectiles*

And thanks

I was rereading the original post about the companies merging, and realized I bought my bale of peat years ago, Since I grow almost exclusively grow in 4" cube pots, I haven't still yet to use even half.
    Last edited by Doomsday; 04-22-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast