Likes Likes:  2
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Brand of sphagnum peat moss

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    This is exactly the problem I was experiencing before switching to a brand that currently ran out... What retailer sells Theriault & Hachey Peat Moss in your area?
    I get it from a place called OBC (Oregon Bag Company) in Canby, Oregon, who sell nursery and greenhouse supplies. It is a little more expensive than what you can get at the chain stores, about $20 for a 3.8 cu ft bale, but worth it imo.

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you know. This thread just found me some peat moss to order for some plants that unexpectedly came in bare root today. I hereby vote that this thread be stickied. It would really help some newbies looking for decent peat moss.
    Last edited by curtisconners; 04-22-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have learned the hard way to never buy premade stuff. Here are my issues with premade cp mixes.

First: you never know if they washed the components or not.
    Second: you never know what actual % of sand/perline/whatever is there.
    And third: the sand used might be so fine it will turn your pot into a non-draining mush. Even respectable growers that sell plants online are guilty in not doing it.
    I agree, especially about the sand. If you use too fine a grain of sand other than silica, like play sand or some all-purpose sand, the media turns into something like cement. This is why I stick mostly to perlite, ugly as it is, because I cannot find the right grain of silica sand around here.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    I agree, especially about the sand. If you use too fine a grain of sand other than silica, like play sand or some all-purpose sand, the media turns into something like cement. This is why I stick mostly to perlite, ugly as it is, because I cannot find the right grain of silica sand around here.
    A few years ago I was in the same situation. Brands of sand offered around in stores were too fine. For a while I settled on Pool Filter Sand sold locally by pool maintenance/care companies. It was better than other brands but still not good. In order to get the sand grain it had to be sieved. That was a tremendous waste of time and resources. While doing that I checked out a bunch of masonry companies because people mentioned they might have good coa-r-se sand. No luck. For weeks it was almost like my second job. Then I found it accidentally: www.ectmfg.com. I am posting a link to give others an idea.
    So the key was to look for companies that do well construction or sell well construction supplies. This company sells Industrial Quartz in various grades from #00 to whatever for well lining. I am using #2. But if you find such company better check the size in person.

So to sum it all up your best bets are:

1. Pool Filter sand sold by Pool maintenance/supplies companies.
    2. Industrial Quartz or Well Filter sand sold by Well drilling, Well maintenance, Groundwater uhh something companies
    3. Consider using Turface (MVP or finer type) or Aquatic Plantic Soil (APS) since it primarily contains Turface and has around #2 grain size*.

APS needs to be washed more thoroughly than sand and it is better to rinse it several times and then leave it soaking in a bucket overnight.
    I have tried growing Sarracenia and VFT in APSeat mix and plants loved it. To counteract possible leaching, top-water it frequently and dump the run off periodically.

*-Grain size nomenclature differs widely between places because why make things simple... Also Mesh size != Grain size. So telling them you are looking for coa-r-se silica sand is the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by AnIsleAteHer View Post
    I have this and like it very much. I dont use peat often as I plant most stuff in pure LFS but it is good quality. It created nice small strands as well

Amazon.com : Espoma PTM8 8-Quart Organic Peat Moss : Fertilizers : Patio, Lawn & Garden
    If you are purchasing peat in small quantities consider Hoffman Peat Moss. I remember it was not bad and you can find it in Sears or Walmart for as low as $3.99.

EDIT: I take it back. Your stuff is better because there 8.9lb of it vs Hoffman 2.5lb. I will have to see if I can find it locally!!!!
    Last edited by gill_za; 05-17-2016 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose I don't even -know- what "quality" peat moss is. I've been using a bale of "Majestic Earth" Peat Moss purchased from Lowes almost two years ago. Unless I'm doing bulk re-potting, I sieve it through a screen and use the stuff that passes through, tossing the chunky bits. That being said, there aren't a -ton- of sticks or anything, but a few. Most of the leftovers appear to be clods of sphagnum that haven't fully decomposed. *shrug*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never tried to to be honest. However, i recently ordered some plants from an online nursery and the package came stuffed with dry NZ sphagnum. Owner buys it somewhere and uses it instead of packing chips. He also sells it separately too. It looked similar to Better Gro stuff until it was re-hydrated. I know its all dead but when wet the heads of some strands were actually pale green. That sphagnum is fluffy and nice and does not seem to be heat treated. It also has very little debris in it and plenty of intact strands (better gro seems as if went trough a meat grinder). I think it might sprout

So what brand of peat moss do you prefer?

P.S.
    PM me if you need the name.

Im convinced this is the same moss I linked earlier (I know which seller youre talking about) Ive had a lot of it come back to life several times but Ive always let it dry out again by accident.
    Last edited by Sashoke; 04-22-2016 at 03:44 PM.
    ~Burgeoning connoisseur of all things ventricosa or otherwise tubby.~

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone ever heard of sphagnum surviving frost? I have and s. purpurea that came with some live sphagnum in its pot and it made it through winter. (The moss)
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashoke View Post
    Im convinced this is the same moss I linked earlier (I know which seller youre talking about) Ive had a lot of it come back to life several times but Ive always let it dry out again by accident.
    Interesting! I'm currently using it for ceph leaf pullings. If it come back to life ill set up its own propagation chamber.
    Last edited by gill_za; 04-22-2016 at 04:06 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast