Yes this question does get asked often. Local nursery owner informed me that there were changes on the Peat Moss extraction/distribution market and the brand I used to get is not currently available.
I tried several brands and generally found that whatever is sold in Lowes or HD (Premier or Lambert) is bad quality peat moss for CP growing purposes. It is very dark, has leaves, wood chips, fine sand and its particles are very fine. When wet is sinks to the bottom and stays there. In the pots it tends to clog up the holes and drains very poorly even when mixed with a large amount of coar-se sand.
Below is a simplified representation of peat types and where they are found relative to each other:
It is likely that Peat Moss sold as retail products is mostly the bottom or near bottom Black layer that could be the reason CP pots develop so much algal and slime growth and generally contains a lot of junk.
I used to get Fafard Peat Moss (no idea why the nursery decided to not carry it as it is still available). It required minimal treatment: Soak and Squeeze water out 2x
Fafard Peat Moss:
Wetted and squeezed:
When I just started I used Hoffman Peat Moss – it is a good quality Peat Moss (IMHO). Same treatment required: Soak and Squeeze water out 2x
Dry Hoffman Peat Moss:
Other brands encountered recently.
Berger Peat Moss:
Dark has a lot of small debris. Very fine, leaves smears on hands.
Howe Peat Moss:
Seems darker and dirtier than Berger
Tourbiere Henry Theberge and Associes Peat Moss:
This Peat Moss has very fine particles. If wetted it will turn into mush and not drain. Has a lot of debris.
And finally most commonly sold brand of Peat Moss you can find anywhere
Premier Peat Moss
This company also sells the Pro-Moss products that are much better quality
In my personal experience with this brand it sinks to the bottom and is very muddy
I am currently looking for a brand that supplies fibrous, coa-r-se, peat moss.
So what brands of peat moss do you currently use? How do you like the quality?
Can anyone still vouch for Sunshine or Black Gold?
These are brands mentioned/recommended by TF members in this thread and more:
- Lakeland peat moss – acquired by Sun Gro (same company that sells Sunshine, Fafard, Black Gold)
- Josh's frogs (amazon)
- Theriault & Hachey Peat Moss. One distributor reported.
- Espoma Organic Peat Moss (Multiple sources)
- Lambert Canadian Gold
- Majestic Earth Peat Moss - may have to be sieved to remove debris. Owned by SunGro
- Premier Tech Horticulture Pro Moss TBK - Blond Long Fibers Sphagnum Peat – Blonde, top layer, peat. Very fibrous.
- Premier Tech Horticulture Pro Moss Fine - Blond Short Fiber Sphagnum Peat - Blonde, top layer, peat. Finer Grade
- Premiere Tech Horticulture Pro Moss HORT – Is this an old name for Pro Moss TBK/Fine? - $9/1cfu and $9 shipping!!! or 19.66 Amazon Prime. Peat Moss image
- Sunshine Peat Moss grower's grade White - Blonde, top layer, peat. Difficult to find retailers
- Berger Peat Moss. See above
- Howe Peat Moss. See above
- Tourbiere Henry Theberge and Associes peat moss. See above
- Hoffman Peat Moss. See above – Amazon, Walmart, Lowes, HD etc.
- Fafard Peat Moss. See above. – Also owned by Sun Gro.
P.S. Fellow TFers, if you can please post pictures of the peat moss of your choice, of the actual stuff. It would help everyone in getting an idea about the general quality and would help in choosing the brand.