Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand of sphagnum peat moss

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brand of sphagnum peat moss

Yes this question does get asked often. Local nursery owner informed me that there were changes on the Peat Moss extraction/distribution market and the brand I used to get is not currently available.
    I tried several brands and generally found that whatever is sold in Lowes or HD (Premier or Lambert) is bad quality peat moss for CP growing purposes. It is very dark, has leaves, wood chips, fine sand and its particles are very fine. When wet is sinks to the bottom and stays there. In the pots it tends to clog up the holes and drains very poorly even when mixed with a large amount of coar-se sand.

Below is a simplified representation of peat types and where they are found relative to each other:

It is likely that Peat Moss sold as retail products is mostly the bottom or near bottom Black layer that could be the reason CP pots develop so much algal and slime growth and generally contains a lot of junk.

I used to get Fafard Peat Moss (no idea why the nursery decided to not carry it as it is still available). It required minimal treatment: Soak and Squeeze water out 2x
    Fafard Peat Moss:

Dry:

Wetted and squeezed:

When I just started I used Hoffman Peat Moss it is a good quality Peat Moss (IMHO). Same treatment required: Soak and Squeeze water out 2x
    Dry Hoffman Peat Moss:

Other brands encountered recently.
    Berger Peat Moss:

Wet:
    Dark has a lot of small debris. Very fine, leaves smears on hands.

Howe Peat Moss:

Wet:
    Seems darker and dirtier than Berger

Tourbiere Henry Theberge and Associes Peat Moss:

Dry:
    This Peat Moss has very fine particles. If wetted it will turn into mush and not drain. Has a lot of debris.

And finally most commonly sold brand of Peat Moss you can find anywhere
    Premier Peat Moss
    This company also sells the Pro-Moss products that are much better quality
    Brand of sphagnum peat moss-44ad9c7e-be28-4155-b2ac-356498d7f0de_400-jpg
    Dry:
    In my personal experience with this brand it sinks to the bottom and is very muddy

I am currently looking for a brand that supplies fibrous, coa-r-se, peat moss.
    So what brands of peat moss do you currently use? How do you like the quality?
    Can anyone still vouch for Sunshine or Black Gold?

Edit:
    These are brands mentioned/recommended by TF members in this thread and more:

P.S. Fellow TFers, if you can please post pictures of the peat moss of your choice, of the actual stuff. It would help everyone in getting an idea about the general quality and would help in choosing the brand.
    Last edited by gill_za; 03-08-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Lakeland that I bought at Home Depot, but that was 2 years ago. I understand peat quality can vary wildly even within the same brand, and even depends on what state you buy it in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered mine off Amazon from Josh's frogs and will probably never do that again because it was $11 a quart!! But I love he quality of it. I use it for my vfts and capensis.

Happy Growing, from Dillon!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should also mention I was recently told about a local agricultural supply company that sells high grade peat intended for nurseries. If you can find a similar local company in your area it could be your best bet.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The peat moss I buy by the bale is Theriault & Hachey Peat Moss. So far it has been a good quality corse Canadian peat moss if you can locate some in your area. I was having trouble with the local Home Depot and Lowes peat moss, became like mud when mixed with water and promoted slime/algae on top and formed mineral deposit residue on the edges of pots after a few months, and even the Black Gold I used for years became undependable from bale to bale with the same problems. I have been using this new stuff since last year and have had no problems with it. It stays a lighter color and does not turn black when wetted like the other brands I used to get from Home Depot and Lowes.

I have heard that generally Canadian peat moss is better quality than peat harvested here in the US.
    Last edited by DJ57; 04-21-2016 at 11:46 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know anyone actually sold peat from the US. Every brand I look at says it's sourced from Canada.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    I was having trouble with the local Home Depot and Lowes peat moss, became like mud when mixed with water and promoted slime/algae on top and formed mineral deposit residue on the edges of pots after a few months..
    This is exactly the problem I was experiencing before switching to a brand that currently ran out... What retailer sells Theriault & Hachey Peat Moss in your area?

P.S. Found a place that sells Black Gold nearby. 1cfu - $9. I think if I dont find any better I will try it.

TF members post review of your brand of peat moss here. Maybe we can compile enough data to have one or two go-to brands for nice, fiberous peat moss that will last longer than typical Lowes/HD junk.
    Last edited by gill_za; 04-22-2016 at 09:53 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the only peatmoss Ive ever bought/used:

Spagmoss New Zealand Grade AAA Moss 500 Gram Brick 40 Liters Orchid Sphagnum | eBay

Its very high quality, airy fluffy stuff. I bought a 10$ bale and its lasted me a very long time.
    ~Burgeoning connoisseur of all things ventricosa or otherwise tubby.~

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast