What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant journal

Hi i was wondering if anyone keeps a journal of their plants. Im thinking about starting one to start recording things like size, when i got them, dormancy, etc.., If you do keep a journal, what do you keep track of, and how do you do yours?

I use instagram as a sort of journal. Usually when I sow seeds, receive plants, make cuttings I post a pic so I can go back to it later and see the progress.

Some people keep that sort of information in a notebook, others like me keep a spreadsheet in Excel / OpenOffice Calc / Google Docs. I keep track of a fair amount of information, probably more than most people.

I just take a lot of pictures of my plants when I have the opportunity. I can't see them often, so I try to savor the time I get to spend with them. The time and date I took each picture is stored in my phone, so I don't need to record anything myself.

Just a notebook. Keep track of source, variety, date planted.

I've had a journal about both plants and my corn snake breeding attempts for years now. Concerning the former, I track growth updates, when hybrids were made, successes, losses, etc....

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was taking pictures on my phone and liked seeing howy plants progressed, but I'm running out of memory to do that. I think I'm going to start a notebook and doing weekly notes. I like the instagram idea, I've never used it personally, but my husband does for his glassblowing.

I've tried keeping a notebook / spreadsheet in the past, but I've always been bad about keeping up with that kind of thing. I get by with just taking a ton of pictures. I always make sure to appropriately name / date the images so I can A: find them again easier later, and B: keep track of their progress.

All the images are stored on my Desktop HD though, so obviously I don't have to deal with the limitations of memory space you would deal with on a phone. (I also have an irrational fear of keeping anything important on my phone and my phone alone, because I figure I'll probably lose it immediately).

I just take pictures of anything interesting or note worth and put it on my picture thread. I have a huge time line now and can easily track the growth of the majority of my plants just by reviewing the thread.

Back