I tried to germinate CP seeds in test tubes filled with distilled water, using a magnifying glass to easily see when they started to germinate and sprout a root and leaves. I tried tropical and subtropical species, mostly Drosera. I wrote that up a few months ago as CP Water Germination Experiment Phase 1. I also had some temperate species of CP. I put those seeds in test tubes filled halfway with distilled water and stuck them in the refrigerator for 8 weeks of cold treatment or stratification. On May 1st, 2016 I took them out of the fridge, put them in a bright warm place, and waited for something to happen. Here are the results. Some stratified seeds did germinate.
Drosera intermedia (seed from 1999) germinated. 4 days after stratification period done.
Drosera filiformis “Manchester NJ” (1999 seed) germinated after 5 days
Drosera anglica germinated after 5 days.
Drosera rotundifolia “Manchester, NJ”germinated after 8 days.
Drosera tracyii germinated after 10 days.
Drosera filiformis “Florida Red” germinated after 10 days.
Sarracenia purpurea “Wisconsin” germinated. 34 days
It is now close to the middle of July. I'm calling an end to the experiment. The following stratified seeds showed no sign of germinating. Maybe they were too old. Maybe they didn't like my technique. I'll pot them up normally and see what happens.
Cephalotus follicularis “Hummer's Giant ” x self
Drosera erythrorhiza “Collina”
Sarracenia minor x S. psittacina
Sarracenia purpurea “purpurea”
During the course of this project, I continued to add tropical and subtropical species to test tubes to germinate them. Here are my results since my last article on this subject.
Drosera capensis “Gifberg” germinated. After 8 days.
Drosera omissa (Giveaway) germinated 8 days.
Drosera burmannii “Humpty Doo” 10 days until they germinated.
Drosera hartmeyerorum 2nd batch 10 days until germination.
Drosera indica “Africa” germinated in 10 days.
Drosera hartmeyerorum seeds germinated after 11 days.
Drosera binata “Multifida” seeds germinated in 15 days.
Drosera hartmeyerorum (Fish Farm east of Kununurra, Kimberley, WA ) germinated after 16 days.
Drosera madagascariensis ( 2nd pkg of 30) germinated in 19 days.
Drosera madagascariensis germinated after 21 days.
Drosera capensis “Bain's Kloof” germinated after 40 days.
I think my failure with Sarracenia, Darlingtonia, and Pinguicula happened because I was using old seed (except for the one species that did germinate). It would be interesting to try this again with fresh seed.
I am quite happy with this technique for tropical and subtropical seeds.
I would call my results with temperate Drosera seed better than I could have hoped for.
From now on, this is how I am going to be germinating seeds.