Thread: Able to buy Drosera seeds from outside the US without any permits?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Able to buy Drosera seeds from outside the US without any permits?

I was offered some Drosera seeds from overseas and was wondering if I needed any permits? The seller is saying I don't need due to them not being on the CITES, but I just wanted to make sure I was following all the rules. Thanks!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are technically supposed to have a permit to import any plant material (though you can import up to 12 live plants with just a phytosanitary certificate.) There is a special permit just for seeds that is free, but you may have difficulty convincing the seller to use it as it is a bit of extra hassle and I don't think customs actually cares about seed shipments. From the seller's point of view it's extra work for no benefit since the seeds would almost certainly arrive safely without it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    You are technically supposed to have a permit to import any plant material (though you can import up to 12 live plants with just a phytosanitary certificate.) There is a special permit just for seeds that is free, but you may have difficulty convincing the seller to use it as it is a bit of extra hassle and I don't think customs actually cares about seed shipments. From the seller's point of view it's extra work for no benefit since the seeds would almost certainly arrive safely without it.
    Gotcha, thanks! I'm glad I asked! I'll look into the permit and ask them about it as well.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting the Small Seed Lots permit is simple. The biggest hassle is if you want to do it only you need to go to a USDA office in person to confirm your ID before you can get level 2 web access. The process is a lot simpler for everybody now as you can send your paperwork and labels electronically to the seller. All they have to do is print it out (color for the labels) and include it in the package - the label goes on the outside.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some additional requirements about seed packaging, labeling, and invoices which would be the main hassle for the seller. I went through the permit process recently and it took me about 2 weeks to get the permit and the shipping labels. You can find information about import permits here: Getting import permits