What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey guys, i've asked this a million times, but never seem to be able to get pollen out of the flowers themselves. Here's the specifics:

I have a D. spatulata with quite a few scapes, and a D. binata var. multifida that's putting two up now, what steps would one follow to collect the pollen from each of these in hopes of crossing?

Same question, only this time with P. moranensis and P. primuliflora.

And, for the heck of it, does anyone know if Byblis liniflora readily self seeds?

Since we were discussing this, Vertigo, might I also add:

If one were to collect the pollen from any given drosera, how long would it remain vaible to pollinate another flower? I ask because none of my flowers EVER open at the same time
sad.gif

Since most Drosera species self pollinate (the exceptions being the Petiolaris Complex, tuberous species, pygmy species, some members of the D. binata complex, D. schizandra, D. uniflora and some other less cultivated species), about the only time you need be concerned about pollinating your Drosera species is if you are trying to hybridize 2 species.  I have limited experience in this but here are my thoughts.  

First, you must insure that the plants do not self, if you are going to make a hybrid.  This often involves the removal of the anthers on the seed bearing parent.  The results can either bring seed or sterile results.  Seed if produced may be either fertile or infertile, but it is important to eliminate the possibility of selfing.  In any good experiment, elimination of variables is essential.

Once you have removed the anthers (and this must be done soon after the flowers open), either remove and rub the pollen from the pollen donor onto the stigma of the seed bearing parent, or gather the pollen on a brush tip.  Additional buds on the scape should likewise be surgically removed,  taking care not to injure the scape to avoid future confusion as to which bud was fertilized.  I would also remove additional scapes if they are present on the rosette.

Record your data - it is easy to forget over the length of time it takes the seed to mature.

I do not know how long pollen remains viable in this genus.

Byblis liniflora is a ready self pollinating and self seeding species.

Good luck with your efforts.

Speaking of pygmy seed. I have some An Ericksonaea x pulchella flowered and selfed making seed....Maybe a bee helped pollinate in the gh or something but I was curious and shook the cut off dry scape over my hand and tons of little round "rocks came out so I am assuming they are seed. Is thatan extremely rare occurance?

Thanks for the info, it'll help out a ton.

Now, all I really need to know is, do I have to collect pollen as soon as the flower opens?

Back