What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What can be grown in peat and perlite?

Well after potting a VFT, I have a relatively large amount of soil left over. Thinking I may want to expand, I was wondering what CPs can be grown in only peat and perlite?
confused.gif

Most of them.
tounge.gif
I'd say at least 60% (I know, it's more)
wink.gif

Ok, it may be easier to get a list of what can't be grown in peat/perlite.

Actually, that's probably just as hard.
tounge.gif

I grow everything in peat:perlite plus the occasional additive. Recently the only things that I don't grow in the stuff are mexican pings since I can't keep fungus gnat larvae from eating them. Darn fungal odor.
tounge.gif

But, basically you can grow just about all of them in varying mixtures of peat:perlite. It's always handy to have long fibered sphagnum on hand though.

I use peat\perlite in a 50\50 mix on all my plants and they are doing just fine!

pond boy, it might help me to know what plants you have.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jhaluska @ Sep. 15 2003,12:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">pond boy, it might help me to know what plants you have.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
His growlist is a part of his sig.

Ok, you can grow:

most Utricularia (aquatic still could use the peat)
Sarracenia
some/most Nepenthes
Dionaea
maybe Byblis...doesn't seem to bother it
tounge.gif

most Drosera
most Pinguicula

Easily most of the stuff. Only really do you find difficult plants that need something weird. The majority of the plants (cp's) will do fine in some varying mixes of peat and perlite.

Peat and perlite, or peat and sand, or peat and something else is the basis for the substrate of just about all of these plants.

Umm..................I just added my growlist to my sig so don`t blame Jhaluska!

Everything I have and have ever had is grown in peat/perlite 50% mixture. Mine do well.

almost anything can be gorwin in peat and perlite as long as the amounts are measured well to compare to the soecies of cp .

I know that alot of cps grow in perlite and peat combo. The only thing I know is I have had really bad luck with that combo. Although I have not tried my new method that people told me (wash the peat and perlite good to get any chemicals outs).

Travis
rolleyes.gif

Heck, I don't wash mine, and the plants do okay... I guess it depends on the dirt...

Is there an 'generic' mix that all the plants can be grown in? I've seen ratios from pure peat to 50/50. I know that often the plants are all put together, so there has to be some soil mixture they all can 'tolerate.' Anybody know what the ratio is for that mixture?

I would not grow nepenthes in that mix of 50/50.

Back