User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are Smaller Pots Better for Carnivorous Plants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to speculate that it is behavioral.

Large pots tend to go outside sooner, or get left out, because they do not look good indoors, and so the plants get stressed by inclement weather. Large pots get overwatered by the owner, too. And moved around. Etc.

I've got VFTs in large pots, and the plants are doing fine, except for the period that they were exposed to two straight weeks of cold and rain. My indoor plants were spared all this.

--Steve

(Edited by steveo at 4:17 pm on May 24, 2002)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote: from Barry on 7:15 pm on May 23, 2002
    That is what I don't understand either. The theory about the plants getting stressed with the roots growing out too much in large pots makes sense, except when the plants grow naturally outdoors they have unlimited root space, and get huge.[/QUOTE]

Actually they most likely don't have unlimited root space. In the wild you get all the other plants growing along with the CPs and their roots are quite likely to limit where the CP roots can go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, pygmy Droserae are exceptions to this, and prefer deep pots to accomodate their looooooong thin roots. In habitat these penetrate the soil deeply. In the brutal Australian summer these tiny plants survive even with a dry sunbaked surface by being able to reach the moisture deep in the soil. I use mostly 4 inch pots for Droserae and smaller shallow pots for Pinguiculae.

4. Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12