What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That "other" nursery

PooPHeaD, You're what my mom would call a "character". From her that is an honorific akin to being Knighted and called Sir Jim.

Hope you *and everyone else* have a really HAPPY/CRAZY labor day weekend
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Once again I would like to thank you for your posts and follow ups. My entire reason for this post was to get people to talk about the problems with Peter Paul's Nursery and to find out more about the nursery. I did not at any time say that people should buy from them. Why did I buy from them? To see what type of quality the plants were in when they arrived and to see if there was any indication that they were field collected ( poached ).

Questions were asked, and they were answered.

As for the topic, I am sure it can be removed from the list. If this is best, then do so.

As for the Sarracenia Rhizome.

The old leaves were cut off, hence it being only a rhizome.
This is a picture of the two small pitchers forming on the plant.

smallsarracenialeaves.jpg

O! Ok thank you Phil and everyone else! Yes, the flower/seeds were taken form my own Purpurea. Yay, I guess I am still in the good zone!
smile.gif

i support you nepenthes gracilis. in most subjects i would comment "Keep it real." in this case i would say "Keep it artificial." propagated that is... hehe
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
happy weekend all!!!!!!!!!
lates,
andrew

OK you guys...settle down! (as my mother would say).
smile.gif

I don't think because Nick was asking the questions he's asked and made the comments (challenges) he has, means he is promoting or even defending Peter Pauls Nursery. He had 2 good transactions...so he wanted to know why people dislike PPN. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes, ever since I started into CPs, I've heard bad things about Peter Pauls. I've never bought from them nor do I intend to. I have heard enough to make me cringe even before this. And I don't want to support unethical nurseries.

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking questions and delving into the history and record of PPN in order to understand why they have the bad rep they do.

I think Nick got alot of good feedback...history, personal experiences and opinions. He can now formulate his own opinions of them with some facts behind him. And personally, I hope Nick continues to challenge PPN (by phone or a visit) to get them to admit where they get their plants. Seems their standard response is "WE dont field collect"...which isnt the same as "We dont purchase field collected plants". Hmmm...maybe its time for an email to PPN....

I think it is good if Nick challenges PPN on their nursery practices. He has given PPN the benefit of the doubt...and with y'alls help in replies, he now has more information than he did at the start of this thread...especially from those who have had personal experiences with them.

I say job well done to everyone who offered their thoughts and experiences. Any newbie reading this thread will form their ideas on which nurseries are to be avoided.

There is another nursery I won't do business with any more because of my bad experiences with them (all 4 times)...yet many people here think its a great place to buy from. Its natural to form your opinions from personal experience. Maybe one day someone will convince me that "B-D" is a good person to buy from. (But I ain't holdin' breath on that one)

So y'all don't get too steamy over someone who just wants to debate an issue. I enjoy a thread where people's passion for CPs shines and members get involved. There area over 40 posts...a good read.

I learned a lot...things I didn't know. So...isn't that part of the purpose of this forum? And long live free speech and the right to debate and speak your thoughts.
smile.gif

Suzanne
Peacenik....OOOOOOOhhhhmmmm

Just a word of caution:

This sort of topic can potentially put our *** on the line legally. Though, I want you to know... that I REFUSE to lock or delete a topic because it's not popular, etc... or even because it may cause negative recourse from another company.

But do us a favor... in case we ever get slapped with something stupid (like the petswarehouse law suit) ... keep comments factual... and clear. That way, if we ever have to defend ourselves... we have a cut and dry 'case'.

I encourage people to talk about experiences with other companies... good and bad, including ours. We'll even allow negative comments about US being posted... if necessary, because it's only fair... (now, how much more honest and forthright can you get?&#33
wink.gif
. But ... keep it clean, keep it clear, and stick to what you know are facts.

Oh, and ... if we ever get sued, be prepared to write an affidavit as to what you posted <grin>

biggrin.gif

adnedarn, I just like to propagate the "old fashioned" way.
biggrin.gif
I MAY get a small TC kit after I have had the gh running for a while and have all the plants established in it. But for now it is the old way and that the purpurea seedlings are a good size after 1 year approx!
smile.gif

Phillip,

In regards to any litigation I am perfectly willing to testify as to the facts as I stated. Thank you for not wimping out on this subject, and I do believe that our Constitution grants us the right to free speech. Even if the facts are damaging to this nursery, they remain facts, not speculation or slander.

Nick, please do not take my rancor toward PPN as any sort of personal reflection on you. As Suzanne said, your questions led to some good expose in this matter, and I apologize if I sounded rude. This has been a continual sore subject for me for decades, and my conscience will not let me be complacent about anyone making any kind of favorable refferal to this establishment.

It is my sincerest hope that reputable companies like PFT with their excellent ethics and methods of reproduction will in fact be able to offer a competitive alternative to field collected profiteering.

Mike's comments were right on the mark: field collected material is inferior to cultivated stock, and is potentially damaging to collections as well as the plants in their habitats.

Friends of CP, we have to stay on these issues like flies on a Sarracenia if we want our children's children to have the opportunity to meet these plants in the wild. Forums like this give us the only power we have in this regards: the power to tell it like it is.

Thank you all for providing this opportunity!

Oops, didnt know there was a second page... I guess I DON'T have anything to say...
confused.gif

Back