What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp Terrerium

• Thread starter timbudtwo
  • Start date

timbudtwo

Shoopdawoop
if i made an out door terrirum:
1) How would i keep the glass from fogging
2) How would i keep the terrirum from getting way too hot?

umm Outdoor?

1. No need to worry about fogging since it will be about 170 degrees in there.
2. An airconditioner! A really really BIG airconditioner.

Sorry I couldn't resist!

There are a few ways to cool something down. 1 is really an airconditioner. 2 is evaporative cooling. Either some sort of misting system combined with rapid air flow or some sort of evaporative pad what air is sucked through. 3 shading... although there is a limit to this as too much and the health of the plants is compromised.
Tony

what if! i love them! What if i cit a small hole in the glass just large enought ot fit a small pc cooling fan, and had it attached to a small pack of rechargable batteries, which were constantly recharged with a couple small hobby solar panels put on top of the terrirum! (im so smart!) By the way, im 13! i dono why i put that in...

I don't think a PC fan would be powerful enough to move the air around. Now a few about 5-8 would do the trick.
smile.gif
I say buy a small "personal" true evaporative cooler available all around. Just do a search.

well its got going to be awfly big... Probably a 15 gallon homemade tank. And i could have one on each side!

Hi timbudtwo,

First of all, what plants are you planning to grow in an outdoor terrarium? And what is the climate outdoors like in your area. A lot of cps do not need a terrarium for good growth. In order for an outdoor tank to stay humid in a dry areas, it needs to be partially covered. During the hot summer months plants can be roasted in an outdoors terrarium unless there is good shade(not so good for most cps) or costly evaporate cooling.

Second, with the electricity you will have to spend with an outdoor cooling unit, it would be much more efficient to set the terrarium indoors where temperatures are generally cooler. You can use flourescent lights that do not heat up terrariums very much.

I would start with a 60gallon tank. Most people find out sooner or later that they do not have enough room for their ever expanding collection:) Another advantage that larger tanks offer is that they stay relatively cooler than smaller tanks as they take longer to heat up.

Ohh sorry!
smile.gif
Dumb me! I thought your terarium was gonna be like 5 ft long by 3 foot high or something like that! Usually outdoor terrariums are that big like CP2K said, heating issues and cooling. But only 15 UNLESS you will go biger as CP2K mentioned. But 15 gallons would be fine for your setup, 2 PC fans on each side rotating in the opposite direction? This way the opposite rotations would cause 1 fan to suck in cool air and the other to blow out the hot stale air from the terarium.

Yea, my plants arnt very big yet, my nepenthes x gubblers isnt more than 6 inches tall, but big traps :cheesy:! And i dont have many plants (my parents made me move all of my plants outside for dormancy and i argues for a couple weeks, and they still didnt let me keep em inside, thus they coaked, oh well, there money loss, i dont get an allowence lol.) So i wont be needing a big one.

Back