Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ram I agree with what Mondo says.
    They get 30C in Albany and I am confident that they can hack that. I've grown them in plenty of Perth summers where we got up to 48C!! Obviously they were kept in the coolest place I coud find and DEFINITELY not in the sun!!
    I would guess that about 30C to 32C is the limit of their comfort level and a few degrees less than that is ideal.

Cheers, fatboy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, your right, sunlight is always ideal...

My worry has been the small size of this plant, and the fact that my apartments deck get's western exposure, and the evening sun here is brutal. But if you have taken your outside (In the shade obviously) all the way up to 48 degrees celisius, then, that fills me with confidence, and I will try.

I'll get a nice shady spot for it outside, and start hardening it off. Or perhaps I'll order a new one this spring and do it that way... This is my first ceph, and while he may not be the happiest where he is, he is growing, slowly.... so I would rather hold on to him than lose him totally... I'll have to put some thought into that...

Oh, and don't knock growing under artificial light! A lot of people that see my terrarium want it... the think it's pretty cool. THere is a low quality shot of my Ven X Max in the user gallery.... take a look, it's in my terrarium, growing like a weed! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Laters guys! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proper artificial lights are in my opinion BETTER than sunlight. 365 days of light at the correct intensity and day length! Most major greenhouse growers have artificial lighting.

If I recall your using 4 fluorescent tubes Ram?? Unfortunately with normal fluorescent tubes you can never get the intensity to mimic the sun. Intensity is what you need to produce rich red color in traps. Maybe if the plant was a few inches from the tubes that would do the trick....
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my Cephs 6" from a 4 bulb shop light with an aluminum foil skirt around it. They are out in my garage in near ambient temps (high 30s to mid 50s F) and humidity (60-90%) and are growing well even in the cool temps, each new pitcher picking up 1 or 2 mm on the previous one, and are coloring up very nicely. I match the light cycle to the local daylight times and I am going to use a small "personal" swamp cooler to keep the temp. down and humidity up this summer. I have seen a lot of people have this plant die back or just plain die after being exposed to temps above 95-100. They are really fun, if slow, plants. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't get the ceph any closer to the lights simply because of the construction of the terrarium... Oh well...

Perhaps I will look into building up a corner with some wood, and planting the ceph higher up in the tank... that might be of real benefit... and hiding the stand and making it look natural wouldn't be all that hard...

But it is a project for the future!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just grow it under a shade cloth outside?
    LOL plants are not supposed to get 365 days of correct proportions of light,if they were then i am sure the weather circumstances would be quite different,but if thats the way you do it fine by me but i wouldn't go as far as saying artifical light is better than the sun because we don't really know what is going on in plants,for all we know artifical light might not meet all their needs,but never the less i couldn't be bothered with a debate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's wrong with 365 days of light at the ideal intensity for growth? Because a plant in the wild has sunny days and cloudy days should we give those plants in our care occasional days of less than ideal light? WHy? So they can grow at a less than ideal rate?

hmm well actually yes we do know exactly what is going on inside a plant. We know exactly what wavelength of light activate which various chlorophylls and other light activated pigments. We know how photoperiods affect flowering cycles and can be manipulated down the the day with commercial plants such as pointsettia etc.
    Artificial lights can be designed to include more light in the proper wave length than even the sun has and less of the harmful infrared light that can burn plants. More energized chlorophyll = faster growth.

If you don't want a debate fine.... but I do hope you think about some of the questions I raised.
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tony,

I was unaware of any over the counter light sources that could rival the sun in intensity (Percieved here on earth I mean of course)

Last I heard NASA was the only group that had generated such light sources, they are wavelength specific LED's designed to generate the exact wavelength to grow plant A or plant B in a hydroponics bay on the way to Mars. These light sources are not commercially available as of yet.

Am I wrong? Is there something better out there?

BTW,

Who can answer me this... what is the most efficient light producing 'thing' on the planet. I will give you some hints...

It is alive, it puts out light, but nearly zero heat waste (like all man made lights do).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast