Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the most effekive lights avaible are "low-pressure-natrium-lights", which produce 183 lumen / watt.
    But the spectrum is very narrow and in the photosyntetic ineffektive range.
    Second effektive lights are HIGH-pressure natrium lights, which produce up to 135 lumen / watt.
    The spectrum is very good for plants !
    The drawbacks are the prize and that the light is yellow.

I use one 70W light for an 120cm x 60cm terrarium (there is also some light from an east facing window) and the results are VERY good.
    Heliamphora pitchers direct under the bulb turn reddish and form "big" and deep red lids, which is the best sign for enough light. The Nepenthes are growing on the ssides where the intensity is lower.

There is a German articel about the best lights for carnivorous plants :
    http://www.carnivoren.org/de....ck.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Martin, can you use lights like Actinics and normal lights in conjunction with this to normalize the appearance? Or is the 'yellow' light just to intense to overcome?

Also, I have heard that these lights are incredibly expensive to run...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago I had a 2.5m aquarium that I set up in the living room of the little apartment I was living in at the time. I FILLED it with plants and tried to make it look like an Amazon river scene. I suspended three sodium vapour lamps from the ceiling above it.
    The plants went off big time. The tank was fantastic - so green and lush looking. My Neon Tetra's spawned continuously.
    Those lamps produced some serious heat, I didn't need to use a heater as the lamps did the job as well as lighting the tank.
    I didn't think they were too yellow, but I had the water going through peat which added a slightly yellowish tinge anyway so I wouldn't have noticed.
    Also, as you pointed out Ram, they almost doubled my electric bill. I think that they are what people use when they grow "crops" hydroponically inside where they don't want people to see them, not that I have ever done that [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

cheers, fatboy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunlight is roughly 10,000 lumens / meter squared. (or roughly a 3' x 3' area). A 175watt metal halide bulb puts out roughly 10-12,000 lumens SOOO to equal sunlights intensity if all the light that bulb puts out lands on a block 1 meter x 1 meter. In actual practice though light is lost to the sides and reflectors over the bulb are not 100% perfect. You can see though with readily available 400 and 1000 watt bulbs out there, how easy it would be to through huge amounts of light onto a small area of space.. more than full noon sun can provide. Of course the challenge of keeping the plants from being fried alive exists. But I am only theorizing here based on technical data.. NO one in their right mind would take a 1000 watt high pressure bulb and use it to illuminate a 9square foot area.

As for High pressure sodium and Metal halide... If your using a single bulb and the plants do not get much supplimental sunlight. Metal Halide provides the closer match to Sunlight spectrum and better growth. This does not mean that High Pressure Sodium produces bad growth. High pressure sodium however is used more often because it is cheaper on the electric bill, and the bulbs last twice as long as the Metal Halide, while still giving very satisfactory results.

The basic difference is that the Metal Halide with more blue in it's spectrum will give shorter stocky growth and better leaf growth. While a High Pressure Sodium with more red light spectrum produces better blooming and enhances elongation of stems. Most of the Hydroponic companies these days will sell HPS if your supplimenting a Greenhouse and a dual fixture for indoor growing comprised of one metal halide and one HPS bulb.

I would imagine that you could use an actinic to very effectively balance a HPS bulb or other similarly yellow/red bulb.
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony, do you have any little clones I can buy? I need a "Mini-Tony" to help in my day to day calculation if incredibly diverse pieces of information!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have more of me in the lab now! ooops probably illegal to clone myself... #### there goes all my cheap labor ideas.

O yeah I should have mentioned that if you were to use fluorescent actinic lighting to suppliment a HPS, the actinic would need to be fairly close to the plants as a normal fluorescent tube would be.

Most of the light bulb data I have comes right from the Grainger catalog...The trick is understanding it and applying it to real life growing situations and knowing what and how the plants respond (plant physiology 101) Always happy to get technical on any aspect of plant growing!

The funny thing is I hardly use light bulbs and only once many years ago grew indoors under lights (for a very short period of time)...
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    must be nice... all I have is a western view with hellacious exposure to the evening sun...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fatboy u got ur neon tetras to spawn? WOW i heard it is hard to breed those little guys in captivity...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast