User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best insect to feed your CP?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just wondering what is the best insect to feed to your CPs? I recently fed my vft a few meal worms, but every trap that I fed got black spots and died, eventhough there was no part of the worm hanging out of the plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mealworms can chew at parts of a vft befre it dies in the leaf. They also have hard exoskelotons. I like small-medium crickets for medium and large plants and fungus gnats/fruit flies for small palnts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find snails to be very good food for my Nepenthes. I fed a few to my tiny N bellii and the next pitcher was huge!! The only thing you have to be carful about is that they can crawl back out of the pitcher. The solution: SQUISH THEM REAL GOOD!!! :cool:

Joel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Potatoe/Sew/Pill bugs. They are semi-hard so they dont get squised, and are able to walk around inside the trap to trigger it some more, but they have soft bellies for easy enzyme access. They are slow moving so the traps dont have to go Utric speed to get them before they hop out... PLUS, they come in ALL different sizes. If you find one you'll find more nearby. There are baby babies, and the big adults. All you have to do is make sure you get the correct size, if you dont they rot real well if the trap isnt shut... I like them, easy to handle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll feed my vft crickets when it gets warmer and I can catch some. Buying them is kinda expensive. I mainly let them catch their own bugs, but I like to occasionally offer a juicy fly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow most of my plants outside and all of them trap the prey they need without assistance from me. I haven't tried feeding the Nepenthes yet. for the sensitive tropicals that stay in the terrarium I use small amounts of powdered fish food with good effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard that earth worms were good to feed your plants, has anyone ever tried them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote: from Parasuco on 10:22 pm on April 21, 2002
    Potatoe/Sew/Pill bugs. They are semi-hard so they dont get squised, and are able to walk around inside the trap to trigger it some more, but they have soft bellies for easy enzyme access. They are slow moving so the traps dont have to go Utric speed to get them before they hop out... PLUS, they come in ALL different sizes. If you find one you'll find more nearby. There are baby babies, and the big adults. All you have to do is make sure you get the correct size, if you dont they rot real well if the trap isnt shut... I like them, easy to handle!
    [/QUOTE]

I tried this too with good results :smile:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast