What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fabulous bog trip.

Wow! I discovered the greatest bog!
(well..I didnt "discover" it..someone told me where it was&#33
wink.gif

hundreds of wild Sarracenia and Drosera (one species of each)
absolutely beautifull!
biggrin.gif

check it out..

http://home.petflytrap.com/scottychaos/WildSarracenia.html

Scot

Hey Scotty,
Great pics! I think those 'dews are intermedia, though, not rotundifolia.
confused.gif
Someone else will have to give you a more positive id, though.

Those look like D. intermedia. Great Photos!

opps! I just assumed rotindifolia, dont know my sundews as well as sarracenia!
I will change that on the page then..
Scot

I'd bet you'd find rotundifolia around there as well though.

Are you sure that they're D. intermedia and not D. anglica? I'm not sure, probably someone else will know better.
Very nice pictures though, and it looks a great bog.

Giles

I may be wrong about this, but If I remember right D.intermedia only grows in the eastern part of NY. D.anglica doesn't grow there at all. If I'm wrong about this I'm sure I'll be corrected.
Even though it shows properties of both Intermedia and rotundifolia, I think it's a D. rotundifolia. I guess we'll have to wait until we hear from the sundew expert Tamlin before we can be sure.

the dews look like either anglica, intermedia, or nidula (sp?)
EDIT: i meant nidiformis, not nidula

Drosera intermedia, rotundifolia, and filiformis are the only Sundews that have been found in New York.  Anglica is close, being just over the Canadian border in Ontario, but isn't found in New York.  Both rotundifolia and intermedia are definately found in Western New York, while filiformis is the one isolated to the far south eastern portion of the state (mainly on long island I believe). Based on the close up shot, the leaves are far too long and ends too narrow to be rotundifolia. The plants are also much more elevated (not sure if that's the right word) than the rotundifolia I've seen around western NY.

that is SWEET.....................

Very nice productive bog you have there! The sundew in question is Drosera intermedia...looks like a very healthy population :)

I like the first dew pic. Dont you just love it when they have the perfect mixture of red-yellow-green?

Back