What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max time for dormancy

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
What is the max amount of time that a plant can be dormant?

Wesley,
I don't know that anyone has ever tried to establish if there was a maximum time that you could keep a CP in dormancy.  Since in their natural habitat they would be dormant three to four months (usually), I would guess that 5 months would be the max.  At five months, I would think that you would start losing the smaller and less robust plants that would have lived if you had pulled them out at three or four months.  They can only live so long on the sugars and starches they stored up for dormancy.  That, I think, is the primary limiting factor in how long they can stay dormant.

Ok Thanks.
So some of my plants can go dormant like most of my Sarracenia while my young flytraps would do better is they went dormant later this mont?

I think your plants will be fine.  Going by the info on this page: Average Temperatures, your temps shouldn't be a problem for outdoor plants.  It's not that much different from their native habitat, though the temps in Dec., Jan., & Feb. can drop into the low 20ºF range.  You may want to bring them in during extended periods of freezing temps or give them more cover to insulate them.
 My guess is that there will be enough days warm enough for the plants to do some photosynthesis that they will do fine.  You'll still should keep your eye on them for good measure.

alien.gif

Back